Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where can I find a great vacation in May??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm graduating from Med School in May, and would like to take a nice tropical vacation in celebration. I could definitely use some advice on where to find the best deals and the most fun.

The trip would be mid-may from WI,traveling with my boyfriend and possibly with some other couples. I have been looking at a lot of places in Jamaica, but I'm open to other location suggestions at this point.
I'm thinking an AI might be easier,(and who doesn't like the thought of unlimited food and drink? ) and I definitely would like to sit on a beach and relax with a drink in my hand. But we would also be interested in some exploring, I like snorkeling, the Man would be into more "manly" activities like hiking/climbing. I've heard great things about Dunn's river falls... And also about Negril. I've been thinking about Couples Negril, although it's a tad bit pricier than I'd like. But it's doable if the food, activities etc. are worth it. So please any advice/opinions/info on great places to relax and have lots of fun would be awesome.
Thanks!!
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Oh.. I forgot to add that we would be staying for 6 or 7 nights (that darn budget thing) and I'm hoping to spend something in the $2-3,000 range, although I have a little wiggle room
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Can't help with Jamaica, but Almond Morgan Bay in St Lucia might fit your bill, and StL has plenty of activities other than lying on the beach. Also, May is out of season and quieter time to visit the Caribbean ..... and also cheaper, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding something. There are also a couple Almond Resorts in Barbados that are on great beaches.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM

using milwaukee you can fly to kingston or mobay jamaica for about $550 but flights take 9-12 hours.
as an alternative you might consider the maya riviera coast south of cancun. flights same price, time about 5 1/2 hrs on airtran. this area has tons of all-inclusives in all sizes & price ranges. also loads of activities: snorkeling & diving, tennis & golf, caves & cenotes, zip-lines, several ruins to explore (tulum, chichen itza & coba), horseback riding, deep-sea fishing, 2 fun eco-marine parks (xcaret & xel-ha), plus fun shopping and rest/bars in playa del carmen. look at www.locogringo.com for most everything you'd want to know about the area.
oh and congratulations on completing med school!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM

I do not know if you want a party type of resort or a more quiet do your own thing. But I was in Negril in April and stayed at the Sweptaway because Sandals had overbooked. Due to the oversale
Sandals offered us 2 more nites at the resort. Sweptaway was more my kind of resort. the food was awsome the resort clean and we were treated very well. Sandals was more Party oriented.
But the 7 miles of white beach that felt like sugar on your feet was the best.

Let us know what you finally decide and how your trip was.
Have a safe and wonderful trip
Jaye
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM

I have recently come back from a holiday sailing around Grenada and the grenadines aboard a catamaran with a compnay called <a href='http://www.fabsafaris.co.uk'>Fab Safaris</a>. We visited loads of beautiful islands including carriacou, canouan, tobago cays, bequia, mayreau and many many more. Each one is different either being small, large, deserted or full of caribbean life. The boat has a diving instructor and diving equipment so we were able to do some fabulous scuba diving in some of the marine parks and some really remote spots. My girlfriend doesnt do diving but she enjoyed snorkelling in the tobago cays area where there is lots of rays and turtles to be seen. The holiday was amazing with some great sunset. I would recommend this to anyone who like either <a href='http://www.fabsafaris.co.uk'>sailing or scuba diving</a>.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:06 AM
KVR

Look at the Playa del Carmen area of Mexico. Resorts such as the The Royal Playa del Carmen, Secrets, Excellance and Iberostars will give you more included amenities at a better price than the Couples or Sandals chain. If your wanting to go a little less expensive and still get some great features, look at the RIU's. A little more partish also if you like that.

There are plenty of things to see and do such as Mayan ruins, eco parks, cave snorkeling, cenotes, zip lines, ATV's, jungle tours, catamarans, beach dinners, sunset cruises, jet skies or mini boats, etc.

Mid-May starts the slow season so prices and weather should be really good.

We've also been to Negril. It's about 2 hours from Dunns River Falls, but you can take a day trip from Negril to either the YS Falls or the Mayfield Falls.

If you interested we have a picture page with all our travels. It may help you decide on a destiantion.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
cdw

Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Lindo gets my vote. Check out the unofficialbarcelo.com website. I think there is one for Iberostar as well? You cannot go wrong with either of these. I have been to Barcelo 6X and Iberostar 3X.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
cdw

The Rock House on the cliffs of Negril is also a great place. Look at pictures on Trip Advisor. We had a blast jumping off the cliffs.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM

I agree with the post on Playa Del Carmen. This is an inexpensive area to stay but you can find everything you are looking for. You can find AI resorts for around $700 for 6 nights on specials. There are trips to Mayan ruins, snorkeling, cruises etc... Here is a website with some info on the Mayan Riviera and Playa www.greatwildlifevacations.com I have a friend who is holding his wedding there next year. Hope this helps you