Good jogging route on St. Martin?

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good jogging route on St. Martin?

I will be vacationing in St. Martin next week, staying in a villa in the Terres Basses (French lowlands) area. Any advice on good jogging routes in that area for a 3-5 mile run? I will have a car so I can potentially drive a short distance if necessary to find a good area. Thanks!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM

I would not run on the main road that loops around the island. It is very narrow in most places and people drive very fast, and do not slow down when coming around corners! Maybe you could find a long stretch of beach to run on instead. Sorry I can't suggest something more specific.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
cdw

You might try up in the hills above Anse Marcel and then around the Radisson grounds. When we were on SXM a couple of years ago, my daughters and I ran in that area. We did have a couple of encounters with dogs but were able to talk them down. It was a little repetitive trying to get mileage in, but it was doable and a good hill workout. We stayed at the Marquis Hotel above the Radisson, which was closed at the time and kind of creepy. I agree with the other post. Traffic on SXM is very bad and the people drive like mad men!!!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM

The Dogs are a major problem on many Islands...we have been chased on Anguilla, St Martin and Antigua.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Yikes, I didn't even consider the possibility of being chased by dogs! With the dogs, traffic and crime I've been reading about, maybe I'd be better off just swimming laps in our villa's pool. Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM
cdw

Find a nice beach and run in waist deep water. We did that one year on 7 Mile Beach on Negril because my daughter had a stress fracture and her doctor allowed her to work out that way. It actually was a tough work out, but it was kind of boring. I think you will be fine in the area I suggested. If you do encounter dogs, stand your ground and yell at them to get home! At least that has worked for me so far??????