Notices

St. Martin ?

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM
iw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Martin ?

This is probably a goofy question, but I have to ask it. We have booked a trip for St. Martin in July. We have been twice before, but it has been 10 years ago. I keep reading about a high crime rate on the island. I know the standard safety things to do when traveling. Should I be overly concerned by these reports? On another website, the reviews of St. Martin are very negative. I guess I would like to know what to expect so that I won't be disappointed in the changes that have taken place. We are staying on the French side on Orient Beach.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM

There has been an increase in crime but this is true unfortunately throughout the Caribbean.
The crime directed towards tourists is usually one of theft rather than violent crime.
Use common sense and paractice general safety and you will be fine.
Don't leave anythimg in your rental car.
don't walk around with a lot of flashy jewelry or lots of cash..
there have been some reports of handbags being stolen.
that said, most of our visitors have hassle free and crime free vacations.
If you haven't been here in 10 years, you will find St. Maarten much more built up.
Orient Beach is a lovely area to stay in....
I am not sure what web site had all the negative reviews, but if you check out
http://www.traveltalkonline.com
the st. maarten forum.
you will find a healthy discussion of all things related to st maarten including crime.
most people still love the island and I hope you will too.
enjoy!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
iw
Original Poster

Barbara, thanks for your answer. I was reading reviews on the frommers.com website. There seems to be more negative posts on that site vs. this one. I understand how things change over time, but your answer has made me feel better. We are sooo looking forward to our trip. We are starting out in St. Kitts and Nevis before heading for St. Martin. My mom's friend was robbed at the Four Seasons in Nevis a few weeks back, which was also shocking to me. But, as I have posted before, it could happen to me in downtown Richmond, Va.! Thanks again!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM

We are leaving Sunday & part of our trip is in St. Maarten. Most of the negatives I have heard have centered around Phillipsburg (which makes sense as this is where I believe all the cruise ships dock). Just take the usual precautions.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:07 AM

The main thing we were warned about in St. Martin was precaution regarding rental cars. We were told not to leave anything in the car or in the trunk. This was a bit of a hassle when we were beach hopping. We were also warned about purse snatchings. My main complaint was the traffic - it was like rush hour in a major US city all the time and the driving is very aggressive. We enjoyed it but will likely not return - the development there seems to be completely out of control.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:33 AM

cartera
the traffis is much better now... it's bad but not impossible for the most part.
were you in SXM during February?
February was ridiculous, especially in the Simpson Bay area.