Reload this Page >

Just back from St Croix - Buccaneer - 5/16/02 - 5/25/02

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Neal

If you have any questions - I'll be glad<BR>to reply.

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Adele

Neal,<BR><BR>Did you travel with family? We're thinking of taking a family trip next spring (three kids, 8, 14 and 16) and have been considering Bucaneer. How were the activities? Did you leave the resort to travel around, or were you content to stay on the grounds? What about the food -- was it good? Are there meal plans offered or is it just meal by meal?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for answering these pesky questions!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:15 PM
Elise

I was looking to purchase a small condo on St. Croix but from the postings it looks like an overwhelming amount of crime and financial devastation. Any input?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:22 AM
Joanne

Elise, I've been going to St. Croix for 13 years (19 trips). The crime and devastation reports are exaggerated. While it's true that there is more crime on St. Croix than on some islands, there is also less crime than on other popular destinations such as St. Thomas. The crime is most frequently local on local and often there is a history, as in gang related crimes. I've never felt less than safe, but I do remain vigilant and exercise what I consider to be normal precautions. <BR><BR>I urge folks to ask themselves the following questions: Would you walk down dark, unfamiliar streets after dark at home? Would you leave valuables in plain view in your car at unfamiliar beaches, or unprotected on the beach at home? Would you seek out places to try to buy drugs? Would you go all by yourself to a deserted, secluded site that you do not know? Would you flash large amounts of cash in a strange city? If you answered "yes" to any of these then you're a target anywhere you go and at home too. If you answered "no", then you will love St. Croix as so many of us do. <BR><BR>With regards to financial devastation, it's true that Amerada Hess has finished a major project and those workers have been released, and the loss of cruise ship revenue hurts a lot. However the overall attitude is upbeat, and many see these setbacks as blessings in disguise in that they are likely to force the island to change the way it looks at things.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:40 PM
Theresa

You may have seen my post. We've narrowed our holiday trip to St. Croix, St Lucia, St Martin or Anguilla based on villa/home availability. <BR><BR>Question - have you been to any of these islands other than St Croix?<BR><BR>Theresa

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:19 PM
Sarah

Please keep in mind that 21 of the 38 rapes so far this year in the USVI occurred in St. Croix, as reported in this article:<BR><BR>www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=310254<BR><BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:05 AM
chris

I wish I had looked for your posting sooner. I have lots of questions about the Buccaneer. What kind of room did you stay in? How was the food? the pool? The resort in general. We are considering a trip in Feb. with our 4 and 7 year old. We really aren't sure now because of the crime issues, but are still contemplating. Any f thoughts would be welcome.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:16 AM
xxx

I think Neal's long gone.