Search

What's bimini Like?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Steve

What's bimini Like?

We're going to Bimini in June. Is it better in North or South Bimini? Anybody been there? We want a laidback vacation with snorkeling but would like to visit sights above land, too. Would like your impressions of Bimini. Thannks in advance. Steve

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:31 AM
al

Steve, go to the little box that says "text search" and type in Bimini. Read the thread titled "Has anyone been to Bimini". That pretty much sums it up. Not the worst place in the world but certainly not the best.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Tom

You either love it or think it's so so. I love it; Hemmingway, Adam Clayton Powell, Gary Hart all took refuge there. I visit their old haunts. Nothing but 7 miles of powder sand and palm and caribbean pine trees. Veeeery relaxing!! Tom

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Steve

Thank you both for the feedback! Steve

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Derek

Went to Bimini for one week in October 1990. South Bimini was barely developed at the time. Food was great, especially the conch. The bread was especially tasty. Boats could be rented at Weeches, one of the few white remaining on the island. The bar that Adam Clayton Powell made famous- I think it's called End-of-the-World bar- was a great time. Sand floor, signed underwear and bras on the walls and ceilings. Rented a room at the Compleat Angler where Hemingway stayed. The floor that Gary Hart and Donna Rice danced was replaced the day I left. Bonefishing can be had at Bimini as can some very expernsive deep-sea fishing. The population is 97 % black on Bimini; what remains of the white population will be submerged within a generation or two. For instance, the white carpenter remodeling the floor at the Compleat Angler was married to a black woman and had two children. The only thing I really didn't like about Bimini was the half-dozen or so professional panhandlers. If you drop your guard, they tend to swarm you like flies.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:16 PM
tweedy

I was on Bimini a couple of years ago, and I thought it was a sleepy little island. Beautiful beach, and very laid back. There are only a couple of restaurants on island, but they were pretty good. The thing every one remembers is the bread. It is an artform on Bimini, everyone makes and sells bread.<BR><BR>There are a couple of straw stands and a few stores, but mostly it is locals and boats that come in for weekends and to fish in the area.<BR><BR>Make a point to see the "road", off Bimini that leads down the beach and off shore. Sure looks like a road to me and legend has it that it is the road to Atlantis. Snorkle "the road" if you get a chance, I thought it was very interesting.<BR><BR>Have a great time.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Steve

Thanks for the info everyone; I will venture to Bimini. My wife loves good bread, too! Steve

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:59 PM
ryan

If its not to late to chime in, I've been to Bimini twice. Both times were on sailing/diving trips.<BR><BR>Bimini is quiet, I mean really quiet. Only two real places to go - The Complete Angler and the other one. (Although one of our shipmates did find an after hours bar.)<BR><BR>If you want solitude and quiet, by all means go. It is great place to visit, but unless you are into fishing and diving, there is not much else to do.<BR><BR>IF you want a sense of the what the main street in Bimini looks like, watch the last few minutes of "Silence of the Lambs" and the closing credits. <BR><BR>