Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to call the US from Turks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Corinne

The last trip to the Caribbean was to Jamaica. I made a phone call to the US using my calling card and the cost was outragous. I think the 4 minute call was about $17.<BR><BR>What is the cheapest way to call? I will be staying at Club Med. Should I buy one of the those prepaid phone cards?<BR><BR>Any help is appreciated.<BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Bob

While I don't know the exact prices of phoning the US, I would just like to mention that there is a phone and internet cafe in the Ports of Call shopping complex across from the Allegro hotel.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:48 AM
anon

Go to the 7/11 or the carryout store by the Gecko Grill and purchase a prepaid card. They are still expensive, I think I got 7 minutes for $10, but it's the only way we could call home from a pay phone. You can dial direct from your hotel room but the charges amount to legalized rape.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:17 AM
denette

Connie,<BR>The phone service in Provo is horrid, to say the least. We were told that it would be cheaper for us to have family to call us instead of call out to states, that the rate was about $8.75 per minute to call out and we found out per our phone bill once we got it that our calls ran us $5.75 per minute for kids to call us. We were on our 25th wedding anniversary trip and of course we talked to our sons for many minutes each day and boy what a phone bill we had. I had considered getting a pre-paid phone card from Sam's Club prior to departure and had called AT&T to get the conversion rate and it was 16/1 to call back to states, which would of been a little cheaper if I had done so.<BR>BUT THEN AGAIN WOULD I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO USE IT,because we had several phone cards even one with a 800 internationl accessibility and none, I repeat none of our cards would work down there(my husband works for an international communications firm-no such luck) We did inquire the first night we tried calling out back to family, inquired again the first morning we were there when husband tried to call back to office all about difficulty getting back to states and were told matter of factly that ease of getting to states is difficult with phone cards, just a common ordeal they live with.<BR>Advice: talk fast, to the point and dont bother to repeat yourself and save some of your money you might of spent for a great dinner/drinks out to pay your phone bill when you get home.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:27 AM
anon

Sam cards, Sprint cards etc. would not work in Provo. Like many other islands you had to get their card to use in their phones. Heaven knows I would have my fingernails pulled out before I ever used my AT&T calling card from another country.(Not the prepaid one, the regular one that charges to your home phone) They kill you in the US, can you imagine the cost abroad? WOW!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Shirley

We just returned from 6 nights at Turks & Caicos and we found the cheapest way to keep in touch with family and friends in US is to use the Internet. We have traveled the Caribbean and Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean and have used the Internet from every place we were with absolutely no problem at all and it is very, very, very cheap. Set up a web based mail address before leaving home (examples: Hotmail or Yahoo) and use it daily to report in and get reports from home. We found most hotels have netbooths in the lobby and if not will usually know the closest hotel that has one. The added advantage is that the people you are contacting do not have to be home when you email them and can answer your email and you can check it anytime you are free.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
anon

Unfortunately that won't work if your 80 year old father doesn't have a computer.....

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:01 PM
lawren

I don't know about Turks but I have used my AT&T Wireless cellphone in St Thomas and St John. Reception was fine and rates were reasonable. They also offer "pre-paid" cellphones if you don't have one.<BR><BR>You would have to check with your service provider as to rates and coverage for Turks.<BR><BR>L

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:10 PM
lawren

BTW, No special cell phone or access code is necessary. The company charges 65 cents/minute.<BR>(No this is not meant as a plug!)<BR><BR>http://www.attws.com/personal/intl_calling/details/tdma_gsm.jhtml#Caribbean<BR><BR>L<BR>