We have 7days - where do we go?

Jan 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

We have 7days - where do we go?

We are celebrating our 10 year anniversary in April 09. We are interested in the Caribbean islands that are to too far from the US (Don't want to lose a full day in travel). Any recommendations? We want:
1. Small, private setting
2. An amazing room, with plunge pool
3. Great beach
4. Obviously, great food, wine & service
5. Looking to pay up to $700/night
Jan 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Go to a travel agent, or better yet, your public library.
Jan 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM

you dont say where you're traveling from.
st. lucia is fairly far south, but you can fly from miami to uvh (in southern part of st. l) or slu (in northern area) in 3 1/2 hrs on american.

ladera might be just what you're looking for.
http://www.ladera.com/rates.html
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Haven't been there yet, but am going in a few days (counting down...)... but it sounds like the Horned Dorset Primavera in Rincon, Puerto Rico might fit the bill for you. A lot of non-stop flights from the US to SJU.
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:56 AM
KVR

Rooms with plunge pools are hard to find. Look at the Sandals resorts. Be weary though that most are not heated, so they are too cold to actually use.

Look at Palivion and Pools in St. Thomas

http://www.pavilionsandpools.com/

The Las Brisas in Acupulco also has private pools. Read up on the destination though, and the beaches are just so-so compared to the Caribbean.

I also did a Google search for "Caribbean resorts with private plunge pools" and tons of info came up.
Jan 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM

La Luna on Grenada has plunge pools. I don't know how long it takes for you to get there though.

On our trip to Grenada we missed our conncection in San Juan and had to overnight there. So, we did lose a day. It still seemed like we had a decent amount of time on Grenada.
Jan 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM

LaLuna on Grenada fills all criteria. Maca Bana on Grenada offers a jacuzzi with stunning views rather than a plunge pool.

Spice Island Beach Resort on Grenada offers everything you're looking for, but at a higher price. However, the place is All-inclusive, so paying more per night would include all meals and drinks for their pool suites.

Jalousie on St. Lucia covers everything but the great wine and service. The rooms are cottages and the plunge pools are of a decent size, but the location is the most stunning place I've ever visited. Hands down the most romantic place I've ever seen. The food, however, is about average. However, the price is low enough that you could leave the isolated property for dinner every night and still come in well under budget.

Ladera, also on St. Lucia, is mountainside. The rooms are unusual, in that they're open-air with only three walls. Romantic and rustic at the same time. I would love it there, but it's not for everybody, certainly. Restaurant on site is good and you get free shuttle to the beach & snorkeling at Jalousie.

Stonefield Estate Villas, also on St. Lucia is mountainside. There's a restaurant on site but it doesn't get raves like the ladera restaurant. The pools here are larger than a simple plunge pool and the views are to die for, but the rooms are a bit more rustic, though quite spacious.

Jade Mountain, also on St. Lucia, is significantly above your price range but offering everything else you're looking for.

Ti Kaye Village, also on St. Lucia, is well below your price range. The cottage rooms are charming and airy, and I find them appealing, but I'm not sure they're "amazing."

Also second the rec for Horned Dorset Primavera in PR for what you're looking for. I've not been there yet, but I've researched it for my own future travels--the beach there might be a little wild for swimming, depending on the time of year you're there, as Rincon is a popular surfing destination.

Jan 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Callaloo,
Have a great trip and I'm looking forward to your report. We'll be staying there in July. We were originally going to go to St Martin & St Barts but switched gears and decided to head to PR instead and will be splitting our time between Casa Flamboyant and Horned Dorset.

steph7360,
Not in the Caribbean but we just returned from El Tamarindo on the Pacific coast of Mexico and I posted my pics here http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=35179667. Will post a short report later. For us (coming from LA), it's only a 3 hour flight but I don't know where you are. All of their casitas have at least one plunge pool. The forest casitas are available via Skyauction for well under your budget.
Jan 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Last year my husband and I (no kids) visited St. John. It was very nice and relaxing. We stayed in a private villa called Arco Iris, website is http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/arco_iris/index.html. It was 3 bedrooms with air conditioning with a nice-sized private pool.
We flew into St. Thomas (where we will never stay - very poor, touristy and dirty) and took a cab to a ferry. The ferry takes like 30 minutes and is a nice start to your vacation. Once on St. John, we rented a car, loaded up on groceries, and went to the beach. We loved Maho Beach, a small, secluded beach that you can actually drive right up to. Usually, several sailboats are moored at Maho and that's the majority of the people on the beach - maybe 10 to 15 people. We went into town a couple of nights and one night ate the most fabulous paella. St. John is small and beautiful and definitely intimate, especially if you stay in one of the nice villas. Hope this helps!
Jan 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Try Dominican republic the best island in Caribbean for vacation ,as destination in Dominican republic i recommend Punta Cana,it has the nicest beach and the nicest resort from the island.

The readers choice magazine has chosen the Dominican republic as the best vacation Caribbean destination.

http://www.dominicanaonline.org/port...o_noti1332.asp

To know more about this paradise in the Caribbean visit.

http://godominicanrepublic.com/

Fun in the sun!!

Peter