Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where in Puerto Rico for family with 17 year old son (not SanJuan/Isla Verde)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've done the San Juan thing twice (including the surrounding touristy sights) so would like to try something different. We like being near a town for dining options and just trying to capture som elocal flavor. We're most interested in good beach relaxation.

This would be for the April school break. Airfares to San Juan are much better than other warm weather options we've looked into (Aruba, Cancun, etc).

What parts of PR do you recommend? Any particular hotels or resorts? We'd also consider a condo rental if the locaiton is good and would be willing to rent a car if necessary.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 08:18 AM

How about Vieques an hour ferry ride from Fajardo? You'd need to rent a car on the island which has great beaches and a very laid back feel.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Rincon, no contest.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM

With an older teen, definitely Rincon, which is a surfing center and has a lot of options for older kids. You can always explore the island by car (you'll have to rent one). FYI: If you can fly directly to Aguadilla, it's far closer to Rincon.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

ANy hotel/resort suggestions in Rincon?

The flight to Aguadilla is a bit pricier than to SJU, but a 2 hour drive isn't all that appealing so I think we'd spring for the extra airfare or stay in San Juan for the last night.

Is a car necessary in Rincon?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM

You'll need a car & the drive isn't bad once you get outside of OSJ. As far as resorts, there isn't a lot. www.rinconpr.com www.rincon.org I like http://www.coconutpalmsinn.com/ or this may well be the best place to stay on the island www.horneddorset.com
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

The Horned Dorset is very expensive. We'd like to keep it under $300/night.

I guess the main priority is a clean and quiet places with a good beach.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM

I'd also recommend Rincon or even Isabela.

We loved how our son could ride a bike down to the beach and rent a surf board for an afternoon of surfing in either. Note: If he surfs, let me know in your next post, and I'll share our thoughts on surfing at each area. Isabela regulars tend to be tough on tourists.

If you like Anthony Bourdain, he did a show on Puerto Rico, and particularly, Isabela last season. I've seen it listed on On Demand in the last month or so.

We like rustic little beach resorts. I'm happy to recommend a few, but you'll have to share your budget and expectations.

Let us know and we'll be happy to share more! Check for my listing on Tripadvisor for my review of the Coconut Palms. Rustic but perfect for our family.

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

I actually watch those Anthony Bourdain travel shows all the time but missed the PR one. I'll look for it on on-demand.
Mom23rugrats,
My son doesn't surf (or skateboard or snowboard for that matter) although he does like to goof around on a boogie board when he has the chance. He does like a pickup game of soccer or football though and is always up for some basketball.

How rustic is rustic??? We aren't campers if that's what you mean. As long as the hotel is clean, comfortable and quiet, we are happy. I'd like to keep the price under $250/night which I am guessing is pretty easy in Rincon.

I will look up Coconut Palms as soon as I finish this message.

Any thoughts on the Ponce area?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM

With your budget, you can do more than the Coconut Palms. We stayed there with a ton of family and filled up the place! They also worked with us on price since we were bringing my mooching baby brother and needed a couple more rooms.

You might also like either Tres Sirenas or Blue Boy Inn. Both have been EXCELLENT for different reasons on other trips. They both have a little more luxury than the Coconut Palms.

Both are on the beach and would be good for your purpose.

If you've been to San Juan, then you know that hotels in the Caribbean are not the same as luxury hotels also.

When you go, don't miss going to Cabo Rojo. You'll feel like you're standing at the place the world falls into the sea!

Have fun!

Mom
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Well not having much luck here! I 1st trying calling Coconut Palms but noone answered, so I emailed them via their website. The email bounced back!

I checked out Blue Boy, and it seems more 'adult only'. It says children over 12 are ok, but I don't think it would be the right place for us.

I also checked the Tres Sirenas website and sent them an email, but I'm not optimistic. it is small and this is for a holiday week.

Any suggestions for a small hotel (vs inns).

Thanks much.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on Villa Cofresi Hotel? It seems family friendly, had rooms available and gets pretty good reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:35 AM

You have to be persistent it seems to contact anyone in PR. We stayed in the front (of the Coconut Palms) in a 1 bdrm eff. It's a little above rustic in my book + you have a small Kitchen, seperate Bdrm & your son could sleep on the pullout couch. Certainly better than a hotel room + a nice patio outside where we took our meals (when we ate there).
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM

I agree, SAnParis2. Consider that they are all on "Island Time."

And while we thought it was a great little inn, Coconut Palms might not be for someone expecting high end hotel accomodations. We loved it there. (Read my trip report on TripAdvisor.)

I only recommended the hotels at which we've stayed. The PP is correct that Villa Cofresi does get good reviews. If you really want a resort, I'm sure there are some in that area, but I haven't stayed at any.

In any event, good luck and have fun!

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

i don't care about a resort. I just want a clean, comfortable room on a swimable beach with restaurants a short drive away.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I ended up booking Villa Cofresi based on reviews and availability. It sounds low key and from what I rad it's on a great swimmable beach (as opposed to surfing beach). They have a restaurant, which is convenient, although we will have car and would like to explore the area and eat in different places.

If something better comes along we can cancel but for now, we have a plan.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM

You'll want to eat at The Spot, for the views alone (great for Sunset) + the food is great as well.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

I'll make a note of that!

Any other restaurant suggestions and things to see and do in the Rincon area are welcome.

Thanks all.