Water/beach conditions in Barbados

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I just posted another question on the logistics of getting to Anguilla. I'm planning or spring 2015 trip and have two pressing questions for our two top destinations. So, that's that one and now here's this one.

Are the beaches in Barbados too rough for a 3 & 5 year old (and an adult that can't swim well at all)? Everything else about Barbados is very appealing to us, however we'd love for the kids be able to play at the shoreline.

I've been looking at the Bougainvillea, but would consider staying elsewhere if there was a place on a more recommended beach. Our budget being under $400/night for a 1-2 bedroom.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 01:47 AM

The west coast of Barbados is famous for it's calm beautiful beaches. The Bougainvillea is on the south west coast and the water will be too rough for people that are not strong swimmers. I suggest you look for properties in St James or St Peter where you will get the beaches you are looking for.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Even on the west coast the water can be very rough compared to other Caribbean islands. Barbados is more towards the Atlantic side of the Caribbean and so the waters right around the island can be a little rough. That said, I believe that you could have your children in the water if they are closely monitored at all times.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM

I completely disagree with the above comments. The west coast is on the Caribbean side and is calm and shallow. The difference between east and west coast is incredible. On the basis of the above, all the beaches in the Bahamas, T&C, Cuba, DR and Bermuda must all be very rough.