Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is Barbados a great place to take your teenagers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:45 PM
jan

We have been to Bahamas, Cancun, Cayman Island, Hawaii & Jamaica & we have some friends who rave over Barbados. They have college age kids now, but in the past, they have been to the same places I mentioned & even to Aruba, Bermuda & St. Thomas. For the past 3 years & even this summer, they are once again taking their family to Barbados because they just love it. I've heard mixed reviews on this island & that the beach is pretty, but rocky, & the water is very rough. My kids said they weren't interested in a rocky beach & I'm not either. I have heard that the Sandy Lane hotel is absolutely gorgeous & worth the trip, but if the beach & the other areas of the island are dissappointing, then I guess I'll choose another island. Have any of you been there recently & what info can you give me?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:40 AM
Lois

Barbados is a great place for teens. Lots to do there (many water sports) -- great Island Safari -- off-roading in Land Rovers - lots of fun.<BR><BR>Beaches are gorgeous. We prefer the south coast -- not rocky. Sandy Beach is our favorite -- calm, turquoise waters; beaches there with lots of waves as well.<BR><BR>Some of the West Coast beaches do have a bit of rocks (small ones) going into the waters, but not all places.<BR><BR>Sandy Lane is gorgeous - we toured the resort in November, but VERY expensive -- $800-$1000/night minimum.<BR><BR>If you have more questions, please write me. We have been to Barbados 15 times and going back for the 16th again this November.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:29 PM
tropigal

The only rocky beaches I have found in Barbados are on the east coast, where the water is way too rough for any but experienced surfers (with the sometimes exception of Bath) I have also seen it rough around Crane beach (good place for boogie boarding if its not out of control). Barbados has lots of water sports activities, which males it a good choice for families.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Sandy

If you choose Barbados, look into the Bougainvillea Beach Resort which is popular with families (Google). South Coast has the best beaches. Fodors online may have travelers reviews "User Rating" by hotel or Where2Stay.com--go to travelers reviews on top by hotel description.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Sandy

Forgot website is bougainvillearesort.com