Reload this Page >

Watch out for illegal roadblocks in St. Croix, USVI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:37 PM
Mary

www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=889809<BR><BR>According to police, people are setting up illegal roadblocks by people that could be waiting to rob, rape, or even murder tourists.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:37 PM
Eric

I'd be more worried about St. Thomas as there were three murders there already this year.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Mary

I love that guy's attitude! Particularly his comment in the second to last paragraph of that article. Wish we had more cops like that here and that they could get away with that type of policing.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:28 AM
xxx

Oh....but I thought there was NO CRIME in the USVI's????<BR><BR>Obviously you people are just Cayman travel agents strting rumors here.<BR><BR>(Yeah, whatever).

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Mary

Rumors? The article comes directly from the Virgin Islands Daily Newspaper website.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Mauzy

Despite the bad rap that Jamaica often gets for crime, there are actually far more crimes against tourists in the Virgin Islands...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:46 AM
hummmmmmmm

as Dave Barry said about the crime during his recent stay in the USVI (Sapphire Beach, St. Thomas):<BR><BR>&quot;And that, in a nutshell, is the situation in the U.S. Virgin Islands. In my journalistic opinion, it's perfectly safe to travel there, as long as you take certain common-sense precautions, such as iguana-proofing your bouquet. Also, if you mess up my castle, you're dead.&quot;<BR><BR>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/4972467.htm<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:25 PM
xxx

I guess the families of the 43 murder victims and the 64 sexual assault victims in the USVI in 2002 might not find Dave Barry's article too amusing. But I guess the lowest of the low thinks it's just something to be laughed off.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:19 AM
xxxx

you are an idiot. no one is laughing at the victims or families of the locals who were victims. Would you please post the number of tourists or visitors to the USVI who have been so affected?

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Doesn'tMake

Why do you think there were 8 reports of the roadblocks, yet nobody has been victimized? They MUST have gotten out of their car to move the roadblock...I'm betting there's more to this story?<BR><BR>To Mary/Merv: Right on! That's too funny!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Eric

Interesting theory - perhaps with the high crime rate in the Virgin Islands, the police would rather tourists didn't drive at night. It would work...

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Hey

Maybe the roadblocks weren't really roadblocks at all, but garbage falen off the back of a truck! Someone is making a mountain out of a molehill, without proper investigation. If no one was accosted, maybe it was an accident and everyone reported the same roadblock?