Virgin Gorda Restaurants??

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Jamie

Virgin Gorda Restaurants??

Our trip to VG is getting close and I would like any opinions, advice, etc on restaurants on VG. I have read mixed reviews on Giorgio's Table and good reviews of Chez Bamboo. What about sunset watching bars/restaurants? - the British islands usually have good happy hours - any on VG?
Thanks for any and all replies, Jamie

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Michelle

Well, there aren't alot of choices... but our experience was fairly good. Chez Bamboo was good (I guess it's all "spendy") and Little Dix has 2 restaurants (1 splurge, and 1 regular) so go by and check out each menue before you book a reservation. There's a place (I forget the name, something like toad, frog...) in the middle of the Spanish town marina area that had good breakfast (the eggs & bacon kind), we didn't go for dinner but I think they've got a small band at night, too. If your in the area of Pusser's/Leverick Bay, it's more touristy, but good. And, Mad Dog's (small shack) by the Bath's has great "inexpensive" pina colada's (opt for no nutmeg...) the day we were there we ran out of money. The owner was next to us and asked us where we were staying (LDB) and told us to just come back before we leave to pay! Such trusting hospitality goes a long way! Their burgers were not too bad either.
I am jealous! Have a blast!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Michelle

Oh yes, and our last night at LDB had a sunset dinner, WOW what amazing pictures we have sitting in my husbands office from that sunset! And there's not much happening for happy hours that we saw (one place we meant to try was past spanish town ont he way to the Bath's); and LDB had expensive drinks...

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 10:00 AM
KNoel

We enjoyed Georgio's Table so much we ate there twice. However, I've heard the food is inconsistent. A bargain place to eat with good food is the Mine Shaft--lots of fun too! Lunch at Top of the Baths is fun, especially after spending the morning snorkeling. They have a pool for you to cool off in also. Try the lobster burger! Have a wonderful time

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 04:50 PM
Michelle

Jamie, where are you staying? just booked a trip and will be at Mango Bay. haven't been there before... Hope it's good (it was between Fischers and Mango) We'll try to hit some other food places this time. Giorgio's is supposed to be close by Mango Bay. there's another restaurant located in a cave? I'll try to find it's name and post it.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:49 AM
Jamie

Michelle,
We are staying at Guavaberry Spring Bay - I did look at Fischers, Mango Bay and Olde Yard Inn briefly, but I have been interested in Guavaberry for the past few years and kind of had my mind made up about it.
Thanks for the info - can't believe it is getting so close to time to go. We have a car reserved thru Guavaberry and we will check out Mango Bay. When are you planning on going? We are going to Anegada after we leave VG. I'll be glad to share any info when we get back (end of May). Jamie

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Ramona

Dear Jamie, I just got back from staying at THE BITTER END YACHT CLUB. I was there for 6 nights, and got back the night before Easter. We ate at the 2 restaurants there, and the one at the TOP OF THE BATHS which I highly highly recommend for it's VIEW! Go there. We only ate lunch there, by the pool. It was sort of funny, though, because I had been dying to go to the baths for snokeling, so we rented a boat, and we were VERY fortunate to get a mooring because the baths is a VERY poplular place, I guess, for GOOD REASON! You must see the caves there, Jamie!!! Any way, we had to jump off the boat and swim to the shore, which I didn't really want to do, but there was no choice for us since our boat didn't come with a dingy. I was bummed, mostly, because I couldn't bring my camera. Anyway, my husband and I dragged ourselves to shore, and then we just started walking up this trail, not knowing where it led to. After 5 minutes, there we were, at the entrance to the restaurant. A sign on the path said "LOOK UP! COME JOIN US AT OUR POOL, RELAX, and ENJOY LUNCH AND COCKTAILS AT OUR RESTAURANT" something like that. It was wierd because we were soaking wet, in our bathing suits, looking and feeling like we looked like hell because our hair was all matted and sticking up from the swim... but we got to eat in this surreal atmosphere-Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous!.. The 2 restaurants at The Bitter End were not too good. We investigated with the workers there as to which restaurants they recommended, and we kept hearing THE MINE SHAFT and FAT VIRGIN's. We never did go, though, because it just wasn't easy. There is a WELCOME magazine that you will find at the airport or any where you go. Hopefully, it will be the same issue that was there last week. There was an article in there written by a couple who wanted to eat where the locals eat, and it described their experiences and the restaurant's names were listed. I highly recommend that you secure yourself that issue. Contact me for any other questions that you may have. I LOVED THE SUNSETS-I will send you a picture of one. I took over 300 pictures, and am still editing them,-The one I will send you may not necessarily be the best because I am still cropping, etc, but.. you may like it any way. Ramona

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:37 PM
Nancy

We were in Virgin Gorda in February-March and tried all the restaurants. As had been said before, there are not as many choices as you find on many islands. We liked Giorgio's best of all. Little Dix is good but not as wonderful as the prices imply. We found the Mind Shaft and Top of the Baths just okay. Hope you have good luck!

Old May 11th, 2000, 02:32 AM
Joel

I'm convinced that all the best food on Virgin Gorda (unlike Tortola) is to be found at the better resorts. I fully believe that Little Dix Bay and Biras Creek have the best restaurants. I've eaten at both, plus most of the other recommendations. Both have exquisitely prepared meals served in a terrific setting. I would opt for Biras more so than LDB, but LDB is much easier to reach as it is on the edge of Spanish Town. Biras is quite secluded and is accessible only by boat, even though it is, technically speaking, a part of the main island.

Old May 11th, 2000, 04:54 AM
jamie

Thanks to all for the info - we leave in a couple of days. Keeping our fingers crossed that our flights go as scheduled this year!! Jamie