Reload this Page >

Maho Bay Camp (Eco Tents)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2000, 05:13 AM
chris

Does anyone know what the Maho Bay Camp Eco Tents are like? I read their web site, but I need a non biased opinion. Clean? Stinky toilets? Private or group showers.... I like to camp, but you get a wide variation on quality. And bugs are big in the tropics!

Old May 5th, 2000, 09:30 AM
Kara

Hi, <BR>I was in Maho for a week in 96. Loved it. I have travelled all over the Caribbean Islands sailing as well as staying at luxury hotels (Caneel Bay and Frenchman's Reef). Here is a general discription: About a 25 minute cab ride from Cruz Bay. Cab is a pickup truck with wood boards to sit on in back. The camp tents are wooden floors with canvas sides and roof. One room has your cooler, table, propane stove and a couch which can pull out to sleep two kids or one large adult. It would be a bit crowded for two adults. The other room is separated by a pull across curtain and has two single beds which could be pushed together. Lights are via bulbs on the "ceiling" and their are also ceiling fans, if I recall correctly. I was there in mid February so temp wasn't a problem at night since there is no air conditioning, but I could see where it might be a problem in the summer. You don't spend anytime in your hotel room when you go to a beautiful island like St. John anyway. The tents are scattered over a hillside. Some have fantastic views of Maho Bay, others have restricted views through sea grape trees. It is spectacular. I believe there were about 60 steps up to the showers/bathrooms, 100 steps down to the beach. Easily doable for anyone in remotely decent shape. Would be tough on kids under 5 or so. The shower were warm with good water pressure and the toilets were fine. (Not all all like outhouses or porta potties). The water was supposedly available from 6-10 am and 4-8 at night or something to that effect to encourage water conservation but I took showers mid day and it was still on. The showers are individual with curtains for privacy as are the toilets. There are permenant staff that live in the tents as well. Mostly younger college age folks and some slightly older hippie types that love the natural setting. Very helpful, especially since it is their home. The restaurant was great quality and portions. I think there may have only been morning and evening meals offered (no lunch) but I didn't need it. 4 or 5 entrees were offered nightly at the outdoor restaurant with a spectacular view. There is a store as well with drinks, milk, booze, fruits, food, toiletries and souveners. The activities desk had everything from night snorkeling to day snorkeling, guided nature walks, catamaran trips and a snorkel shop/watersports center. I did the kayak from Cinnamon Bay Campground (which is 10 minutes closer to Cruz Bay) to Cruz Bay which took about 6 hours since I stopped and enjoyed every beach (All beautiful) I passed. Then, their crew came and picked up the kayak in Cruz Bay and I stayed and ate dinner then caught a cab back to Maho. I would recommend renting a jeep for two or three days to really explore the islands beaches and snorkeling. Overall--I loved it and at 90$ or so a night...it is a great deal. <BR>Oops--also, bugs were plentiful and I did get a ton of bites but with proper repellant that might not be a problem.

Old May 5th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Charlie

The above description is right on the money.I've camped at Maho a couple of times(summer months)and it is quite hot/humid.There are no ceiling fans,just table top types,that not only cool you but keep the bugs off while you sleep at night.As mentioned some of the tent/cottages have a view and,if you ask at reception,they will give you a list of unassigned cottages to look over and if you find a view that you like you may relocate.I second the 4x4 rental,when I went each time(2 weeks stays)I had a vehicle for 1 of the weeks to explore and vegetated for the other week.Lots of bug spray and SKIN SO SOFT will tame all the beasties.Have fun,I'm sure you will!!!

Old May 6th, 2000, 02:48 AM
Karen

Some of my best memories of St. John are from the one time I stayed at Maho ... loved it! Quite a change from the usual digs at Caneel and it was wonderful! The description was very accurate other than the tent-cottages being seperated and some more private but connected by boardwalks. Depending on the location, the hike to the necessary rooms could be long or even to the beach can be many steps! Non-biased? Doubt it ... but we checked out Cinnamon and were so glad we were at Maho! And bug repellent is probably the most important thing to take (well, one of the most important ones!) - Skin so Soft lotion works great for me! Also might want to "invest" in a sunshower at your local sporting goods store to hang on your deck. One might even call it "luxury camping" if you are used to camping!

Old May 8th, 2000, 06:05 AM
chris

Thanks for all of your descriptions. Last time we went to St. John we spent all of our time outside and slept with all our windows open in the villa so why not save some money and camp? Now how cold are the showers? I camp a lot, but most places I stay at least have warm water. And are the tents pretty clean and tight? I don't want a crawling visitor in my bed at night -- real tents zip up.

Old May 8th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Randi

I'll be staying at Maho soon, but I've never been there. Several sides of the tents are not canvas, but screens. Small bugs can get through them, but I think you'll be safe from the larger, crawly ones.

Old May 8th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Charlie

Nope no critters at night,however keep the fan blowing in your direction as you sleep,it keeps the mosquitoes away.One word of caution,food,keep all food in your cooler box because mice are common and they chew through just about anything.I had a tin(plastic lid)of Planters nuts and a container of Pringles chips that I thought to be safe, WRONG!!! The shower water depends on when you use it,the water is heated somewhat by the sun so if you're one of the first to shower it should be at best,luke warm,if not try not to scream to loudly,some people may be napping.

Old May 10th, 2000, 06:02 AM
chris

Mosquitoes in bed and mice chewing through just about everything? This isn't presenting a good picture. I guess at night we could lather up with bug repellent and line our tent with traps. Has anyone else had a problem with wandering rodents? Is Harmony a better deal?

Old May 10th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Kara

Hi, I wrote in earlier about my trip to Maho. The status of the tents is this...canvas roof, 2 canvas walls, and 2 screen walls. I didn't notice any holes per se but, the floor is floor boards which had a 1/4 inch or so separation (like a backyard deck). Also, there is a screen door. So to answer the question about mosquitos...yeah, they will get in your tent when you walk in and out and the door is left open and maybe some will sneak in through the floor boards. We saw a few geckos on our table one morning but nothing that didn't scurry away very quickly once they saw a 132 pound person walking toward it for a picture. The bottom line is...this is camping. It is by no way a luxurious resort but for some people...getting away and communing with nature is a luxury so I suppose it depends on your perspective. I didn't have any problems with mice. Harmony is a good deal in my opinion and is more like a condo up higher on the hill. Also, I always had hot water but I suppose if it is solar heated then taking a shower a night could be a bit chilly. But once again, if it is 85 degrees out, wouldn't a nice cool shower be refreshing? Good luck.

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:22 PM
Charlie

Chris,Maho is a step above normal camping but is still camping.Me thinks you may want to look at renting a small villa,do a search and you'll find lotsa places to view available rental villas on St. John.

Old May 11th, 2000, 08:06 AM
chris

I did stay in a villa in January and enjoyed it, but I was looking to save some money. I am not new to camping -- I tent camp a couple times a year in the midwest. But this is the tropics and things grow big down there. I’m looking for more of a comfortable tropical vacation not one that is as primitive as can be. I’ll have to check out the villas and enjoy the warm showers.Thanks for all your help