Search

Vieques - Safe??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vieques - Safe??

Hi,<BR>Just wondering...does Vieques have contaminated waters and is it really safe to visit there?? B/c of the Navy base there and their testing military activities; the waters and a lot of the surroundings are supposed to be unsafe, even though the Navy has been asked to cease any testing there. I need to confirm by trip booking asap so any information would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM

I had the same concern on Vieques to the point where I worried about Uranium content and all that crap about the waters in Vieques. Well, that was 2 years ago and I've been to the doctors a gazillion times and they haven't told me I have cancer or anything, so it must be safe...<BR><BR>The fact is Vieques has a large number of Ex-pats (American/gringos) and they all have lived there for years and are all healthy and happy. We ate the seafood, we ate the venison from the island and sure was all great food to me! As far as the contaminated waters, I believe red and green beach are closed for those reasons...but I wouldn't know. The Navypeople didn't let us in and said there are practices going on...<BR><BR>I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:06 AM

I didn't have a problem either. Spent our time on the south in Esparanza and it was beautiful. If you're going you may want to take the trip to Bahia Mosquito as well: http://www.biobay.com/
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sooo much for your replies! We truly appreciate it. Unfortunately, b/c we didn't have enough information on Vieques by the time of booking, we opted not to go b/c we weren't sure. We're staying at the hyatt dorado instead and i hope that's ok. *fingers crossed* But again, thanks for your input.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:39 PM

You'll be fine at Dorado.Its paradise there with the Cerromar too.Very top of the line beaches great food service rooms wonderful wonderful wonderful.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BeachBoi! I certainly hope so.
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:58 AM

We've just returned from Vieques this past Sunday (may 4) and the beaches were opened to the people of Vieques and the genral public for the first time in about 5 years. The beaches are still some of the most unspoiled we'e ever seen. Yes, there were some disturbances during the reopening cermonies that may have been on the news stateside but nothing crazy from our up close perspective. Go to Vieques and enjoy the beauty of the beaches and lull yourself into the relaxed laid back atmosphere of the island! (Have dinner at the Blue Macaw at the Inn on the Blue Horizon...fabulous food!)