vieques for 7 days?

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vieques for 7 days?

This will be our first trip to Puerto Rico in April I booked the Martineau Bay resort on Vieques for 7 nights but am now wondering if I should have booked at least 2 or 3 of those nights in Isla Verde so that my family and I can see San Juan and El Yunque.I'm flying into San Juan and then to Vieques on Cape Air and may be able to change the days around. Any advice?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:49 PM

We are headed to PR for our first time in March. After MUCH research and debate we decided to spend part of our time on the mainland near San Juan - we are spending 5 nights in Ocean Park (near San Juan) and then 5 nights on Vieques. We definitely wanted to see El Yunque and Old San Juan an d then maybe the caves- so that was the deciding factor. We also booked on Cape Air - and the agent told me that we could switch our flights with no penalty - but if the fare happened to be different for the time we switched to we would have to pay the difference - so that shouldn't be a problem if you decide to change your plans. I'm sure you will have a good time no matter what you decide!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:48 AM

I don't really have a perspective on Isla Verde, but I do know Vieques and Martinique Bay. We stayed at the hotel for a week last March and HATED it. I know other writers who have stayed there more recently have liked it, so maybe there has been some improvement. The thing that can't be improved is the beach situation at the hotel. It is a tiny pocket beach and very windy. You will not want to stay there during the day. The pool is boring and noisy, so that's out for spending any extended amount of time. What all this means is that you will have to pack up every morning and travel around the island. That may be fine for some people, but it is a lot of work. Not a relaxing vacation in my mind. Also, we were not impressed with Vieques' beaches. Red Beach, Blue Beach, etc. were okay. There was not commercial development around them, BUT there were plenty of unsightly leftovers from the Navy. Lots of decaying picnic shelters on the beaches. Most were not usable, as they were partly washed away. They were quite derelict in appearance and really detracted from the experience. Another factor was the trash. It was everywhere. Another thing to consider is that the island is so new to real tourism that the local people don't know how provide service. It was a problem everywhere we went. Another thing to consider is that almost everyone who stays at the Wyndham eats their meals elsewhere. The issue with that is that at night it requires long drives over very small and windy roads. Often you come around a turn and there is a wild horse standing in the road. It is again a lot of effort and trouble to go to on a "relaxing" Caribbean vacation. We would not go back.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:29 AM
owa

Oh my. I have been researching Vieques for our family of 10 over Christmas. After reading your post, I don't know. That bad? Thanks for giving your views. I appreciate it. Owa

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:55 AM

Owa - I don't think I would cancel my trip based on one bad post - I have read several trip reports and reviews on Vieques and it sounds like a wonderful place for what we are looking for. We do not like hotel chains and all-inclusives (like the Wyndham) so we tend to lean toward B & B's, guesthouses and small inns. There are plenty of those on Vieques - we chose the Hacienda Tamarindo for our March vacation - I will post a TR when we return. The Wyndham is on the north side of the island - the best beaches are on the south side but there aren't any hotels on them. You need to have transportation to reach them - but they look awesome. I know that there are several villas and homes for rent (many with incredible views and pools) that would be great for a family. Check out these websites www.enchanted-isle.com and www.vieques-island.com. Don't give up on Vieques yet!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:36 PM

In defense of Vieques, I will have to address mossway1's message.

Vieques is not for everyone. If you like to eat at your hotel and sit at your hotel all day long, then it is not the right place for you. If you want to try a different beach everyday (Media Luna, Navio and Secret beach are the best beaches --- and I was very impressed by these beautiful beaches, having been all over the Carib) and be the only person on a gorgeous swath of white sand and turquoise water, then it may be for you.

If you like popping into quirky restuarants for a fish sandwich and a beer for lunch one day or pate and cheese with wine at chef michael's the next, this may be for you. However, if you want a waiter to spritz you with evian and bring you your drink while sitting on the beach, its not that kind of island.

I'm all for pampering...that's why I go to certain islands for that kind of pampering (i.e., 4S Nevis or SL Barbados) --- Vieques is not that kind of island. But it has its own charm. One I frankly like better.

To address the road situation, it is far better than driving in St. Barths. I felt very safe and its never more than 15 minutes. We liked driving to a new spot for dinner each night.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:27 AM
msb

My friend and I were on Vieques for 5 days in May 2004 and LOVED it. We stayed at the Wyndham and had no complaints. It was very quiet and it felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. We did check out other places like the Inn on the Blue Horizon and were very happy we chose Martineau Bay. We did not eat any meals at the hotel. We bought snacks from a grocery store and ate out at different places every night. We are very low maintenance though. We rented a Jeep and drove all over the island and stopped at all the beaches. Each and every beach is gorgeous and we would definitely return since it is our favorite out of all the islands we've been to(10). We did stay in Isla Verde at the Intercontinental for one night and wished we were back on Vieques! We did visit Old San Juan but not El Yunque. I do think it would be worth staying a night or two in San Juan.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM

We were just on Vieques and loved it. It isn't for those looking for the "all inclusive" insulated experience. For that you should look elsewhere.

If you would enjoy interacting with some of the most genuinely hospitable people in a real world environment then perhaps you'd enjoy Vieques. I came away with a deep admiration for the brave people of Vieques. Take some time to learn their story before you visit.

Vieques isn't for everyone but, if you want to get to know people who understand the value of freedom and the right to self determination and the high cost that must sometimes be paid for them then go to Vieques.

Oh yes, there's some litter about and there is plenty of UXO left behind by the US Navy but there are also drop dead georgeous beaches and some great snorkeling too.

If you need a pristine, sterile vacation, go to visit the mouse.

I will return to Vieques and look forward to the great friends and great food that I found there.

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM

I loved Vieques. Not as much as St. John but a close second. Daytime or night time watch your speeds driving - the horses can come from out of no where. Otherwise, I found driving to be pleasant.

The week we were there was just after a large storm so its difficult for me to fairly talk about litter.

The beach at the Wyndham isn't good. You will have to travel to other beaches. If I were to again I'd stay at one of the smaller places, not the Wyndham.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM

i really enjoyed the "mainland" of puerto rico, so to the o.p., i wuld vote that yes, you should split up your time. 3/4 nights.