Search

Vieques help please..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vieques help please..

A bit of background: Two parents, three teens, love to travel but due to budget trips to Caribbean are rare. We loved St John and Grand Cayman.
Seriously considering Vieques for July trip.
My questions: I have found airfare from Tulsa to SJU for $446.00. June rates are about $100 less. Is there a good chance July will drop? $466 is doable but at the top of our budget.
We would love a cottage,rental house as close to good snorkeling as possible. I have been on websites and seems like for our $300 a night budget we should be able to find something. Any reccomendations? Air conditioning is a must, a pool would be great. We do not need luxury but not rustic.
Our priorities are great from the beach snorkeling, a decent place to stay, a safe island to drive around and explore. Certainly the bio bay.
Is Vieques my best bet in Puerto Rico?
Thanks very much to anyone willing to respond!!!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

How do you plan to get to Vieques ? Check out www.vieques-island.com, www.haciendatamarindo.com, www.hectorsbythe sea.com & www.viequeslalanchita.com.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

WannabeinaMontersat,

Thanks for the links.

We will probably take the unreliable ferry that I have been reading about due to budget.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM

I second WanneBe's suggestion of the Hacienda Tamarindo. You and your teens could get two rooms for your accommodation budget, and what's nice about this place is that a full breakfast is included in the rates, most rooms have a/c, and they have a lovely pool. It's also in a good location near Esperanza and right next door to the Island Adventures company that runs pontoon tours of the biobay. This B&B also offers to pack you lunches in insulated backpacks if you want to spend the entire day at the beach without having to worry about refreshments. Drinks are provided on the honor bar system, so your teens can help themselves to juice, sodas, etc whenever they please and you and your spouse can mix your own drinks to save money. www.haciendatamarindo.com

I doubt very much that airfares will go down in July. Even though it's low season for hotels, airfares generally don't go down in July because it's primo month for family summer vacation. Also with fuel costs rising, I wouldn't look for bargains this summer.

Good luck finding the right place to stay. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check out www.enchanted-isle.com.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM

First of all, I have not been to Vieques (have been to Culebra) but I bookmarked this villa a while back after a poster raved about it and the owners so I read about it and saved it for future trips. You might want to just take a look and see what you can find out:

www.palmcottagevieques.com

One of the houses would be too small but the two bedroom, two bath(Pool cottage?) might work and it has a pool. With a full kitchen you can certainly save money on breakfasts, snacks, drinks and even some lunches or dinners when travelling with teens. Someone else would have to tell you if it is situated near good beaches, etc. Good luck and happy trip planning.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM

please look at our trip report from Nov., 2007 to Vieques and El Yunque. The 2 bedroom house we stayed at would suit your needs with a rollaway bed if the owner has one.