UVF vs. SLU to Sandals St. Lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going on my honeymoon next xmas eve and we are booking flights right now. I've heard from a few people that flying into UVF and having to take the Sandals shuttle to the resort is the most terrible car ride anyone can experience, to the point people are getting really car sick.

The only issue is the arrival and departure times to SLU are terrible, we would arrive at 10pm and then depart at 7am technically losing 2 days at the resort because of it.

Has anyone had had the same experience with flying into UVF? Dont know what to do!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM

I can tell you that whoever wrote in their report that the shuttle from UVF to Sandals Resort is a terribe car ride is CRAZY! I was just there this past December and found the trip from the Airport to Sandals Grande resort to be great! You get to see alot of the island and it goes by much quicker than you realize. I enjoyed every minute of the ride and looked forward to the trip back to the airport at the end of our vacation. Which Sandals resort are you staying at???
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:39 AM

IMO, choose the better arrival times.

DH and I stayed at the Grande for our honeymoon in '06 (loved it btw). While I didn't look forward to the ride like beachbum, I have to agree that it wasn't horrible, and it was a nice way to see the parts of the island we never would have seen otherwise. It does go by quicker than you'd think.

Neither DH nor I got sick, and my husband tends to get carsick whenever he isn't driving.

The most memorable part of the drive was how much poverty we past. I can still picture families cooking on an open fire next to what they called home. Those memories remind me to be very thankful for everything I have.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
KVR

From UVF to the Sandals Grande is about 1 1/2 hours on a very winding road. After a long all day plan ride most people do not want to spend another 1 1/2 on the road getting to the resort and some people get car sick.

We flew into SLU. We got a Sandals tranfer to the Grande, which was just a taxi to the resort. We landed late in the evening and it was a 20 min ride to the resort.

We ended up taking two different Islands tours that drove all over the Island. The roads did not bother us. However, I was glad we did land at the SLU airport only because we left at 7am and didn't get to the resort until 9pm. It was a very long tiring travel day and adding on another hour would have been even more draining.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM

We went a few years ago and took a helicopter ride from the airport to SLU then a short caba ride to the resort. I can't remember the cost but it was a beautiful experience and was a pleasure after traveling all day. Here is the companies website www.stluciahelicopters.com

I also heard that Sandals can make the arrangements for you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM

I too too the St. Lucia Helicopter - it was AWESOME and I would highly suggest it - pricey -but oh what a ride and so scenic......
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM

I did get car sick on the way from the resort back to the airport - and that was before I really had vertigo, so yeah, the roads do wind back and forth. Since it's your honeymoon, what about a helicopter?