Search

USAir using FF points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USAir using FF points

Should I be concerned if I'm trying to secure 2 airline tickets for June '06 to St. Thomas using USAir frequent flyer miles? With all the airlines in trouble these days, it's scary committing. I just found the perfect villa for us and now I'm trying to line up villa availability with possible FF tickets. Whew, that's a lot of work! I'll really need the vacation after all this.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:44 PM

Anything is a risk but I think USAirways will continue flying, have they not been approved for the merger with America West? Forgive me for not being up on the latest news. If in the worst case they go under, there is a rule that other airlines must accomodate you, however this is only space available and you can sit days technically, though unlikely. I think you're quite safe, I'd book my trip then of course monitor the latest and decide accordingly. Stay smart is your best advantage. Good look and happy travels.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:15 PM

Hi Traveler 863!!I have not seen you on in a while.Hope that all is well.

Ninja,
You will love STJ..it is one beautiful island.(I recommended a villa to you on the Tripadvisor forum..my name is Tropicaldreamer 2 on that forum)from NC also.

Have you decided on what villa yet?
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
ccc

Are you wondering whether it makes more sense to buy the tickets or to use FF miles? In June you can probably get a relatively cheap fare (which will get you more miles). If you want to use miles, I would go ahead and use them.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM

We've used FF miles with United twice in the past couple of years during their financial issues. Both times no problems. As another poster said, anything is a risk. I would book it and hope for the best. Good luck!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurances. We've used FF miles before with no problem, we're just hoping for no issues this time as well. Tickets for June were running over $500 pp so using miles made sense for us.

We're definitely trying to book a villa. Looking at Perelandra right now if the dates line up with our FF tickets. Our other choices were much more expensive and availability didn't line up right.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have 4 FF tickets to Hawaii in the spring on Delta. If anyone should be worried, it should be me!!LOL
I think the major airlines will be okay. I would go ahead and use the FF miles.
Again, I haven't seen you post is some time traveler863. Nice to see you back.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM

The USAirways merger with America West continues to move forward. Don't think you'll have a problem with using FF mimles.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM

US Airways and America West merger has gone through which hopefully bodes well for US Airways. FYI: I believe if an airline goes out of business other airlines are required to accomodate only stranded passengers, that is, passengers who are in the middle of a trip.

Book your trip, maybe consider some trip insurance?, and have a safe and splendid time!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM

I just booked my trip to Barbados next May using frequent flyer miles and don't believe it will pose any problem.

USAir actually has offices in my building and I have spoken with some of their employees in our shared gym--one guy reassured me there would be no problems with using the miles in the future.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM

<We're definitely trying to book a villa. Looking at Perelandra right now if the dates line up with our FF tickets. Our other choices were much more expensive and availability didn't line up right.>

Don't know if you still search this forum but I'm wondering if you ended up booking at Perelandra? We've stayed there twice & just love it; in fact we're due to return there for our 3rd stay in May. (I like to pretend it's mine! Great villa, fantastic views and location, good value. Was just curious...
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we did book Perelandra for our stay in June. Can't wait!
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Ninja, How did you enjoy perelandra? We will be staying there soon. Any info would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Paradise Lover, how about you? Any details?