Redeeeming 'Original' Frequent Flyer Miles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember the 'old' days in frequent flyer programs when the mileage requirements were sifnificantly lower, when there was only one 'awards schedule' so you didn't have to worry about qualifying for 'anytime' awards and if seats were available when you called you could snag them?

I've got enough 'original' mileage in Delta's 'Frequent Flyer Program' (Skymiles predecessor) for two FC trips to Hawaii and the Far East ('Business Elite').

In the Aadvantage program I've got the 75,000 'original' miles called for on their "old' mileage schedule for two FC to Hawaii.

Now - when I try to redeeem, will the old rules apply (any unsold seats available for claim), or will I be subject to the same frustrating restrictions that I've been reading about on this forum?

The latter would lead me to use my miles for upgrades (where mileage requirements are significantly lower).
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:04 PM
sandi

Those "old" days were many many years ago and the programs have changed considerably; honestly, I doubt you'll get the benefits as based on those "old" program rules & regs.

You will be best served to get the correct answers from the respective airline programs. So call them.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:42 PM

We haven't had any luck using our NW miles to upgrade, either. Once we were told that we couldn't use them because we were travelling with a group, and another time because we used (that airlines) discount certificate.

I recently tried to use either AA or UA miles for a trip seven months in advance, but no dice. One clerk told me that people call right after midnight 330 days in advance, the day the miles tickets are available.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:19 AM

You can be sure that in the fine print of the FF agreemeent in the "old days", it stated that the agreement was subject to change.

There is no way that you will get awards based upon any previous award schedule....sorry.

I was able to get two First class tickets to Australia/New Zealand for only 180,000 mile (for both).
Now I would have to use 240,000 miles to get the same award.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

"You can be sure that in the fine print of the FF agreemeent in the "old days", it stated that the agreement was subject to change.

There is no way that you will get awards based upon any previous award schedule....sorry."

Actually, insofar as American goes, the good news is that they honor "old miles" under their "old" or "new" award schedules"

From AA.com:

"Q: What is the definition of 'old' non-expiring miles?

A: If you were enrolled in the AAdvantage program prior to January 20, 1989, you may have earned 'old' mileage for any transactions up to and including June 30, 1989. You can use this mileage to claim awards from either the regular award structure (old awards) or the new award structure. You may also combine 'old' miles with 'new' miles to claim an award from the new award structure, such as a PlanAAhead or AAnytime award, an upgrade, AAdvantage Car Awards or AAdvantage Vacation Awards for hotel stays."

Now, if the same principle works for Delta....