Reload this Page >

United Airlines Bankruptcy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 04:48 PM
debbie

I JUST re-deposited my Delta skymiles back into my account because we can not make our trip to Vail in Feb. due to a sick animal at home.<BR><BR>I tried to re-use them to book a trip to St. John in May, and Delta told me the only flight out was on the 6th, and there were none back (to Boston) anytime in May.<BR><BR>They offered me to book on their &quot;partner&quot;, United at 5K each more. I felt I had no choice, as that is the only month we can go. <BR><BR>Then I turned on the TV and found that United is close to bankruptcy. Do I dare chance this, or should I just not get the tickets (I have 15 days) and pay for the flights on another airline? We've saved for over 2 years to get these miles, and I don't want to have to &quot;stand in line&quot; as one of United's creditors and lose everything.<BR><BR>Anyone have suggestions? I know USAir filed for bankruptcy and is still operating, but Eastern rings in my mind......

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:40 PM
fyi

They will not go bust. Can function, just like continental did for years in Chapter 11. <BR>Us air is still flying. Fo for it, not to worry!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:59 AM
cdt

I would rather book United for May than book USAir.<BR><BR>If United files Chapter 11, they will probably continue to operate for a while (maybe a LONG while).<BR><BR>USAir filed 3.5 months ago and they face some big problems in the next 2-3 months. If they continue to lose money and can't line up enough financing, they could shut down suddenly.<BR><BR>This could also happen to United eventually, but if it does, it'll take a while.<BR><BR><BR>I think a flight on United 6 months from now is a fairly safe bet.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:15 AM
sarehm

Don't worry UA won't completely stop flying. I would keep an eye on the schedule. What they'll start doing in the next few months are cut back on their schedules and airlines aren't real great with calling and letting you know your flight has changed.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:02 PM
liza

What's the standard operating procedure for ticketholders of an airline that stops flying, anyone know?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:18 PM
fyi

one of my very reliable sources tells me that United will be trimming their routes. There is plans according to the insider at United that after the Winter rush sometime in the Spring, United will no longer do Caribbean routes.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Frequent Flyer

Hopefully, United will scale back the flights to St. Thomas after my February 23 trip!