Reload this Page >

Turks, St Lucia, or St John?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:12 PM
steph

We are planning a week long trip in late Oct and can't decide TC, St Lucia, or St John. We want: beautiful beaches, less developed/touristy, and good food. We are pretty seasoned travelers and always seek out the "undiscoverd" (as much as you can these days!). Any tips on one vs. the other? Weather, bugs, etc. could be a deciding factor. Not really interested in nightlife or diving, but snorkeling. scenery, and R&R are more the idea. I know that it is low-season for all islands, so none should be that crowded...Thanks!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Denise

Hi Steph,<BR>While I have not been to either St. Lucia or St.John, I did go to Turks and Caicos in this past July. It was the most wonderful vacation!! It meets all of the requirements you posted about, especially "beautiful beaches". The beach in Provo, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay is STUNNING. Neon turquoise water, clear as a swimming pool. No seaweed at all. NONE. The sand is like powdered sugar. It is pure white and soft! Words can not describe how beautiful the beach is.<BR>The beaches are not crowded. You can always find some beach to be totally alone. The only part of the entire strip of Grace Bay that was a bit crowded was the area in front of the Beaches resort. A lot of kids there. Provo is not overly touristy but I think it would be fair to say that it's popularity is growing! We should expect that a place like Provo won't be quiet forever!<BR>As far as scenery, Provo is not a beautiful island in terms of being lush or mountainous. It is actually very flat and arid. There is not much to see here in Provo on land, but the beach makes up for that! Snorkeling is fabulous and swimming is unreal.<BR>Provo is very safe, and the locals are wonderful. At no time did I feel nervous; even walking at night. You can leave the resort area and feel totally safe.<BR>Needless to say, we had a blast here. It was so beautiful and relaxing.<BR>I wrote a long and detailed trip report if you would like additional information on Provo, Turks and Caicos.<BR>My e-mail is [email protected]<BR>Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or if you want a copy of my report.<BR>The report is also posted here on Fodors at the "Rants and Raves" section. I posted yesterday, so I am not sure if it is actually posted now or if it takes awhile.<BR>Anyway, good luck in your planning! Planning the vacation is part of the fun!<BR>Denise

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:32 PM
steph

Denise,<BR>Thanks so much for your input! I've been researching this board as well as others and did see your report. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much on St Lucia.<BR>-Steph

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:56 PM
tammy

We have been to St.Johns before and i would suggest u go there.It is very pretty and on cinnamon bay u might be able to able to see wild dunkeys.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Bud

Been to all three. Have to agree with Denise, that Provo is the best of the three.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
x

Provo meets your requirements the best. We stayed at Point Grace and at times we were the only people on our stretch of beach.<BR><BR>Depending where you stay, St. Lucia and St. John can also be very private, although beaches in St. Lucia cannot compare to those on Provo or St.John.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Jim

We honeymooned on St. John last year. It was great. Beautiful crystal clear, clean beaches. Many of them. Great town for restaurants and shopping. Wonderful nature trails. <BR><BR>We rented a villa and to us, it's the only way to go. Lots of privacy and space and views galore. St. John is great.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:44 PM
xxx

I have agree if it is R&R and a nice beach you are seeking then T&C wins hands down. If if is more acitivity, shopping, people watching, then St. John's.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:09 AM
sharon

Activity, shopping, people watching on St John? Hmmmm...where exactly? The reason we choose to go there is because there is so little activity. The snorkeling is really good, the scenery is breathtaking and the beaches are mostly uncrowded. On St John in October, you might find some of the restaurants in Cruz Bay closed but the food at most of the restaurants is really good. The only bug problem we've encountered on St John is the noseeums in the shady areas of the beaches in late afternoon. Just bring some bug spray and problem is solved. I've heard terrific things about St Lucia and TC too so I think you're 3 choices are perfect. You can't go wrong with any of them. Have a great time.