Turks & Caicos

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turks & Caicos

Having a tough time deciding between a May/June vacation in Providenciales vs. St. Croix. Family of 3. (teenager)

We're looking for:

- nice beach with relaxing atmosphere

- snorkeling

- intro to scuba diving class

- kayaking, stand-up paddle boards, etc.

- golf

The two locations seem so completely different and yet possibly similar in pricing as long as we stay with a 4 star type accommodation. Anyone have thoughts or recommendations they would like to share?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:54 AM

I would go to Turks & Caicos ...you can NOT beat the 12 mile beach. Beautiful water--sugar white sand. Most resorts are condo type and are perfect with a family. We have stayed at a few places on the Island BUT love The Somerset Resort, free water sports , can walk to snorkel , great restaurants very nearby, wonderful staff, included breakfast , BEAUTIFUL suites. Check out www.thesomerset.com
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 11:57 AM

The beach in Turks is spectacular, and so are some of the accommodations. But the golf course is only OK, according to a friend of ours who is an avid golfer. And I have heard that scuba and snorkeling are both better in St. Croix.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM

I've been to both, love T&C much better! If beach and watersports are your main criteria, T&C much better.

PS for the money, the resorts in T&C are much nicer and better maintained than St. Croix.

St. Croix has a more "Caribbean vibe", Buck Island is cool to snorkel, but the beaches are just okay.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM

If i were you i would prefer Providenciales because i visited the place last year and it was good.I don't know about St Criix.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:03 PM
KVR

I agree with T & C. We went to St. Croix many moons ago. T & C has excellant beaches, but the Island is all about the water, not much else to do there. It might be too boring for your teen. Though we enjoyed our vacation there, we were bored after a few days. No nightlife or shopping what-so-ever.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 04:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
To comment on golf on T&C if that's important to you. MDH is an avid golfer and likes the course at Grace Bay Golf Club. It's resonably priced compared to most of the Caribbean(you can get some deals through your resort), it's close by so no long commuting time, and challenging enough for most. He can be there in 5-10 minutes, golf 18, and be back in time for lunch, which I like.

He used to drag his clubs along but found that they have top rate rentals so now he just brings his shoes.