Turks and Caicos without kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are interested in a get-away. Our criteria... beautiful beach, great service (beachside drinks , great food and, since it's a "get-away"...few kids. Barbados is our favorite place that we've been...but we thought Turks and Caicos would be a great island to try given it's proximity. Any recommendations? We looked into the Sands because it looked like it wasn't too expensive (we'd like to stay under $400/night)...but are worried it may be too family-oriented. We don't want a sandals or anything like that... if you have any thoughts, let me know. We're not tied to T&C...

Thank you!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:40 AM

The Palms and the Sands are the only resorts with beach side beach service. Most of the resorts on Grace Bay have a pool bar and grill so you wouldn't have to go to far for a drink. For the same Price range as the Sands with less children I would try, Royal West Indies, The Alexandra, or the Sibonne
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Royal West Indies has more of an upscale, adult focused feel.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:34 AM

I forgot to mention that I've sent clients to Royal West Indies and received positive feedback. I've also visited myself (disclosure - I'm a Caribbean expert travel agent).
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your input. We'll check those places out. One other question...are there any places with really nice thatch-hut rooms? We stayed at a small place called tensingpen in jamaica a couple of times and the rooms just felt so caribbean and not sterile at all. Is there any place like this in the turks and caicos (or another island you could recommend?) Tensingpen didn't have a restaurant or pool bar or anything which is why we aren't really considering it now. We also loved Royal Pavillion in Barbados and would love to go back there, but it's a little pricey...so if anyone has similar recommendations, that would be great. How is the food overall in T&C?
Thank you again!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM

If you would consider a villa coriandar cottage is a nice one room vila with its own pool right on the beach. Its listed on vrbo.com
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM

You will LOVE Grace Bay in the T&C. The beach is truly outstanding. I have never stayed at the Sands, but the last time we were in the T&C, my hubby and I checked it out. It is very nice and their restaurant is great. The location of the Sands is nice in that it's within walking distance of the snorkeling in front of Coral Gardens. Since we love to snorkel, we consider that a plus. We have visited three times and stayed at Ocean Club West (OCW)all three times. There are sometimes kids, but never too many when we've been there. It seems most people w/ children head to Beaches (when we've walked by it's seemed like a zoo)! I would recommend OCW to anyone. It's just a wonderful, relaxing resort. The have a nice little restaurant/bar between the pool and the beach. We enjoyed Happy Hour every day! Another thing nice about OCW is it's a quick walk to Ports of Call where there are shops (T&C is not a shopping mecca, by the way) and places to eat. T&C is truly a great place for a getaway!!! Good luck making a choice!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! How does The Sands differ from OCW?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM

We've stayed at the RWI for the past 3 years. OCW and the Sands look very nice but a little more kid oriented. We've seen more kids at the RWI each year but since they don't have activities for kids I think people with kids choose to go elsewhere.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Since you asked for other island suggestions as well. Anguilla is very adult oriented and beautiful. www.capjuluca.com
Also the thatched roof rooms- I remember somewhere like that in Antigua? Can someone help me out with the resorts. It might be St. James Club, or Jolly Beach...I just can't remember.