Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Advice on Carribean luxury resort, NOT A/I, preferably adults only

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking to travel to the Carribean (preferably Turks, St Lucia, Antigua, Anguilla; not Jamaica, Bahamas, Grand Cayman) and stay at a nice resort that won't break the bank. We looked at Sandals and other AI but I fear they'll be too crowded and the food won't be great. Problem is we'd really like an adults only environment. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Look at Point Grace on Turks and Caicos, not adults only but, a lot of couples stay there, a sign by the pool says "quiet please' free happy hour every night, can walk to many fine restaurants...
or our favorite is The Somerset www.thesomerset.com they are offering 1 nite free , great staff, a few kids but, every time we have been- very well behaved, they are hi end condos, excellent restaurants on site, not far from Point Grace that I mentioned above.
Antigua- check out "Blue Waters", great food( we did AI, and loved it) , small beach, no kids that we saw.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I would suggest Anguilla. It's lovely. I would think Ku would fit the bill. It's not expsensive and is on a lovely beach. Also check into Turtle's nest and Serenity. Great food awaits with over 35 restaurants to choose from-from low budget to high!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM

I have been to T&C and Anguilla (love them both), and I have noticed that the two responses you received so far have provided suggestions that I consider to be at different price/luxury points (i.e., the T&C resorts are what I consider luxury, high-end properties, while the Anguilla suggestions are mid-priced, comfortable places but not my definition of "luxury".

You probably will get better suggestions for specific hotels if you indicate a specific dollar amount/night (and note when you are planning to travel, since there are big differences in prices at different times of the year) rather than a phrase like "won't break the bank" which is very subjective. The title of your post also indicates you want a "luxury" resort.

I usually prefer non-AI too, but I stayed at the Body Holiday at LeSport in St. Lucia, and I enjoyed it. It is AI, but it is a smaller resort (adults only) and had a more intimate feel. I have seen Sandals/Beaches properties in St. Lucia and Turks & Caicos, and they would not be my preference.

Here are some links to some adults only properties that might give you some ideas:

www.cmtravelonline.com/adult_resort_listings.htm

http://www.resortvacationstogo.com/S...y_Resorts.html
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Grace Bay Club in Turks and Caicos, the original part of the resort, doesn't allow children under 12 years old. It's close to some excellent restaurants, and every suite faces the ocean. It's very upscale and luxurious.

The new Veranda in T&C is AI, but upscale-on par with Grace Bay Club (same management) they too have an adult only side, with a small pool. They have a family side, and then the main pool and restaurant by the beach is shared. They are eager to impress being new, so pampering will be optimized.

Pine Cay, again in T&C, is adults only except for July. It's more laid back and rustic, on a stunning beach with a country club atmosphere.

Cap Jaluca in Anguilla has some months that allow children, but quite frankly, is spread out enough that I've never noticed children around anyway.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the great suggestions!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM

La Source in Grenada is the sister resort to Le Sport & is a lovely resort, adults only. It is AI with a treatment included everyday.We found the food to be excellent, without all the buffets that some AI's have.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM

I am curious about La Source and Le Sport. I have been to Club Med (and a few other all-inclusives); personally I like the buffets.

I almost always travel alone, so the buffets are a good way to meet people (especially at Club Med). I don't like going to meals alone.

I looked into Le Sport a while back, as they have single rooms. But ended up going to Cancun/Cozumel.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM

MartiniSteve,

You may get more responses if you start a separate thread with your questions about La Source and Le Sport, but I will provide my thoughts here. I went to Le Sport in Dec 2006 by myself (solo female traveler). Le Sport has a large circular table (at dinner at least) in the main restaurant (Cariblue), so if you are a solo travler, you can ask to be seated there. Also, many solo travelers met at the Piano Bar for a drink and went to dinner together. If you make a reservation for the specialty restaurant (Tao) as a solo traveler, they probably will seat you with others (table of four when I went), so it is very easy to find people to eat with. At the time I was there, the main restaurant had seated dinners (three course meals) six days/week and a Caribbean buffet one night); breakfast and lunch were buffets. The specialty restaurant, TAO, was dinner only and also was three served courses. There also were more casual optins - a beach front "Deli" restaurant open from mid morning through mid afternoon, late afternoon tea at the main bar, and a casual dinner option (barbecue style).

I thought Le Sport was great because it was very solo traveler friendly, both in terms of facilitating socializing (mainly through the communal dining table and the efforts of the staff - low key, not staff pulling you off your beach chair and trying to force you to do some activity) and the pricing of single rooms. In addition, I thought Le Sport offered good value in that it included a lot of things that are not usually included at AI resorts (spa services, more extensive fitness and sports activities, etc.).

If you are looking for a lot of night life or younger singles (like Cancun), Le Sport or La Source may not be a good fit for you. I have not stayed at Club Med, but from what I know about Le Sport/La Source, I would say that they have a more intimate, upscale atmosphere than CM.

I hope this helps.