Turks and Caicos vs. Grand Cayman Islands

Sep 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Turks and Caicos vs. Grand Cayman Islands

Hi everyone,

I recently made my first trip to the carribbean to sandals grande in st. lucia and absolutely loved it. I am currently trying to find an island to visit that compares in beauty and I've heard that these are two good ones. My husband and I are newlyweds and young, so we're looking for something upbeat yet relaxing. If anyone has any insight please let me know! Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM

provo (t&c) and the caymans are the exact opposite of st. lucia.
not lush. not hilly. not rainy practically no trees.
both have outstanding diving and snorkeling. both are fairly expensive. provo has excellent restaurants. both are small and easy to drive around. also neither have much in the way of all inclusives. provo has only club med. not sure about gc.
hope this helps.
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM

I haven't been to Grand Cayman, but I have been to both St. Lucia and Turks & Caicos (the island of Providenciales or Provo). I really enjoyed both islands, but they are about as different as two islands can be. St Lucia, as you know, is lush and mountainous, with most beaches having golden or darker sand and being in small coves. Overall, the island is beautiful, but the water and beaches are not what a lot of people picture when they think of Caribbean beaches (white sand, turquoise water). Provo has a 12 mile long beach (Grace Bay Beach) which is the most beautiful beach and water I have have ever seen (soft white sand, gorgeous multi-shade turquoise water). But, beyond the beach and water and the landscaping at some of the resorts, Provo is not particularly attractive; it is a flat, scrubby island. My understanding is that Grand Cayman is very similar to Provo in terms of physical characteristics.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upbeat" but if you are referring to nightlife, there is not a ton of nightlife on Provo. There are plenty of places to go out for nice dinners and an after dinner drink or two, and there is live music some nights at certain places. but overall, Provo is a place to go and relax and enjoy the beach and water (pretty good snorkeling and diving too).

Grand Cayman is a more developed than Provo so it may offer more activities (e.g., shopping, nightlife) than Provo.
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
KVR

We've been to Grand Cayman twice, Turks & Caicos and St. Lucia. I agree with the other posters, Grand Cayman and Provo are similar in topography and very much the opposite of St. Lucia.

For upbeat and relaxing, Grand Cayman has more things to see and do, more livier resturants, better shopping and nightlife. Provo is all about the water and beach. There was much building/construction going on when we where there last year. Both 7 Mile Beach on Grand Cayman and Grace Bay on T & C are great. I would give Grace Bay the edge. Both Islands are quite expensive and do not offer AI hotels any where near the style of Sandals. There are 2 AI's on Grand Cayman; Beach Club Colony and Spanish Bay Reef and 2 on Provo; Club Med and Coral Gardens.

If your looking for lush beauty like St. Lucia, check Jamaica, St. John Virgin Island, Grenada, Barbados, or Dominica. If you want great beaches with clear water and powdery white sand, then T & C or Grand Cayman would fit.
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Just one clarification to address some points in other posts. If you are looking for AI on Provo, there are two options: Club Med and Beaches. Beaches and Sandals are part of the same chain, but Beaches is the family friendly brand.
Sep 7th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help! I now know to look elsewhere because I am looking more for lush scenery along with nice beaches!
Sep 8th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I would choose Grenada or St. Johns for a tropical feel and beautiful beaches. Turks and Caicos does have water clariy that is just gorgeous but the island is very quiet. Shopping was practically non-existant. If you want real upbeat and some great restaurants and clubs as well, Aruba might a place to try but it is not at all tropical but would probably be your liking in the "up-beat" department. I rather like San Juan Puerto Rico. Beaches are not that great, but there are some nice tropical sights there.
Sep 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM
KVR

"I am looking more for lush scenery along with nice beaches!". Look at St. John USVI, Tortola/British Virgin Islands. Don't expect any AI hotels though.

Oops, forgot about Beaches in Provo. Since they allow children, it will not be exactly like a Sandals.

If you want something comparable to Sandals with lush greenery, waterfalls and decent beaches look at Jamaica.

Sep 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM

hi maxx, actually jamaica was my first thought when i read your post, because of the scenery and availability of ai's including 7 sandals resorts. another option for plentiful ai's in the maya riviera coast of mex. south of cancun is beautiful. nice beaches, good diving/snorkeling, ruins, shopping, all sorts of adventure excursions. playa del carmen has a good nightlife w/many ai's in or nearby.
or for beautiful scenery and ai's that you stay in rather than venture around the island the domincan republic.
Sep 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM

I agree that St. Lucia is completely different than the other two. You already got some good explanations why so I won't go over them again. Having also been to Jamaica, I 100% agree that it would a great choice. You should look into the Negril area. Good luck.