Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best beaches: Antigua, Anguilla, Grand Cayman or Turks and Caicos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:51 PM
honeymooner14

If you've been to these places, let me know which island you think has the best beaches...white, powdery sand, and turquoise waters, perfect for swimming and snorkling...

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Turks and Caicos (wins because of gorgeous beaches AND great snorkeling)
2. Anguilla (awesome beaches and so-so snorkeling)
3. Antigua (Nice beaches, OK snorkeling)

Haven't been to GC - too crowded and commercialized for my tastes...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:20 AM

Turks and Caicos all the way. Grace Bay on Provo is the whitest sand I have every seen. It feels like talcum powder underfoot. Contrast that against the most turqoise of turqoise water and you have magic. There is no concern about undertows, it is perfectly safe for swimming and yes, there is some great snorkelling sites. I also agree with Diane's opinion on Anguilla. I have not been to Antigua so can't offer first hand opinion. I have swam with the stingrays off Grand Caymen (awesome). However, since we were on a cruise we really didn't have time to see the myriad of beaches.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:02 AM

Agree withteh last post. WE have been to many islands and the beach in Provo on Turks is the best we ahve seen. The sand is pure white and so soft and the water is sut the bluest of blues and very calm - great snorkeling too.

Penney
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM

Turks and Caicos all the way!!
Bluest of blue waters!! Went there on our honeymoon last yr. right around now as a matter of fact!!
Diana? how would u know that caymans are too commercialized and too touristy??when you haven't been there? Not trying to be rude, but if you haven't been there!?? you cannot say its too commercialized. There are nice areas of the caymans where there are FEW tourists. It is quite laidback when you get to the condo living...its alot more serene...and not anywhere near tourist trap! Ive been to the Cayman Islands 7 times.. We are going back next week as a matter of fact!I will let u know how it is--honeymooner!
Provo is awesome!! I have never seen such turquoise water like that in my life! Dont get me wrong..love the GC but the sand is more powdery in the turks!!
have fun wherever u go!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:04 PM

Hi sunnydelite.
I prefer islands with little to no chance of running across a Burger King or McDonalds, few highrises, no cruise ships, and a more laid back island vibe than the research I've done on GC reveals.
I'm a diver, so I'm sure I'm missing out on great diving in the Caymans, and I'm sure it's a wonderful place - it's just not for me.
That's the great thing about the islands - there's one or more for everyone's tastes.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:14 PM
honeymooner14

THanks for all your help and opinions! I am still deciding, but let me know how the Caymans are when you return, Sunnydelite!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:15 PM
honeymooner14

ALso, which island has the BEST snorkling?? I've never done it before and would like to experience the best I can!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:27 PM

GC has beautiful beaches on the northern part of 7MB and the most pristine water I have seen yet. It was perfect for swimming and snorkeling. It IS very commercialized and it helps if you know that before going. I always tell people that I can guarantee them that GC has the best food I've ever eaten which gives it some extra points.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 03:01 PM

Turks and caicos I believe have the best snorkeling and scubaing.
My husband loved it! I am not a water goer..but even I was in the water all week in the turks last summer. The powdery sand is phenomenal.. It is truly breathtaking. On the other hands GC is awesome too..but I think turks wins for most beautiful beaches.. It looks liek a piece of Heaven!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 03:21 PM

It doesn't get any better than Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman. There's a reason it's so popular and, in the high season, crowded. In addition to the amazing beach, the island is clean, safe, and stable.

For you divers who eschew the crowds, the East End of Cayman offers isolated beaches, no crowds, AND superior diving.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Knowing..I wouldnt say it is commercialized in JUne July or August when we go. Maybe other months...... ...but it wasnt that crowded...
not in the summer months..It is considered rainy season anyway......between june and sept.I think turks is better actually because of their powdery talcum type sand..............and gorgeous water..........I love the caymans but now we are heading to the turks in a few months again!! love it there tooo!my husband works for the airlines so we travel whenever we want at our leisure!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:10 AM

We have only been to Grand Cayman, so I can only speak to that island.

We did not like the 7 Mile Beach area, it was very commercial, and felt a bit like you were on one of the more popular beaches in Florida [people wise] water wise it was wonderful. Clear, clean azure waters and so much fun to snorkel.

Since we didn't care for the 7MB area of the island, we tended to drive to the north shore and the area of Cayman Kai. It is gorgeous, it is a slower pace, it has so many little out of the way snorkel spots.

We will be returning to the Caymans in April 2004, staying on the north shore, in a nice condo with pool and on the ocean.

The snorkeling [new snorkeler here] is awesome just about everywhere you go on this island. Shipwrecks close to shore, Eden Rock is an amazing snorkel, there are just too many to mention them all. If snorkeling is what you want, you'll find more than you could ever do here.

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:21 PM

I agree with gekko. It is ONLY commercialized in the HIGH season! Low season in June -Sept..are phenomenal. We have a timeshare down there and absolutely love it!. Amazing beaches... lots to do and friendly natives are all around!!!!!!! We go there every year and love it more! each yr!!!All of the grand cayman Islands is beautiful!!!
Glad you had fun!!!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Prickly Pear off Anguilla is as close to perfection as you get. Talcum-powder white sand, crystalline sky blue seas and incredible reefs all around.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:07 PM
honeymooner14

What about Aruba? How do the beaches there compare to the rest of the Caribbean? I'm asking because this is now a honeymoon destination that we are considering after reading a bit more about it.

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:14 PM

The only reasons Aruba's beaches don't qualify for the 'best of the Caribbean' list are that the waters aren't as brilliant blus as some other beaches and from a user-friendliness standpoint, they stay windy enough that the blown sand often bites.
The sand itself is nice and it's very light in color and many of the beaches are long.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:13 PM

the beaches are great in Aruba...soft white sand, not rocky, and turquoise blue water.