Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Turks and Caicos resorts: The Sands or Ocean Club West?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,<BR><BR>We already booked our vacation to Ocean Club West, but have an option to change to the Sands. We found a great deal at the Sands, actually $40 cheaper than Ocean Club West. Our travel agent will match any offer we see. Is it worth changing for only $40? Our first choice was the Sands but it was about $200 more than OCW when we first booked our vacation.<BR><BR>Can you please compare these two resorts? I am looking mainly for:<BR><BR>1) Best section of Grace Bay<BR>2) Better pool<BR>3) Nicer staff<BR>4) Free snorkeling equipment, non motorized motor sports<BR><BR>We are looking at the Gardenview studio at the Sands. Does this come pretty well stocked? We need a small kitchenette (fridge, coffee maker, etc). It would be great if the studio had dishes also. It looks like SAnds has this but not OCW. Can anyone confirm this?<BR><BR>At Ocean Club West we booked a studio also. How do the studios at the different resorts compare?<BR><BR>What would you all do in my shoes?<BR><BR>Thanks a bunch.<BR><BR>Denise<BR><BR>
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

One more thing....Can you explain where exactly the Sands is located on Grace Bay? Is it between Beaches and Allegro or in between Allegro and Club Med?<BR><BR>I wish I could find a map of Grace Bay where they show exactly where all of the resorts are!!<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR><BR>Denise
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 12:21 PM

From Coral Gardens on the west end of the beach it goes--Beaches--Alexandra Resort and Spa--Sibonne (Somewhere in here they are building a new resort--The Palms which are going to be $1Mil condos)--then Point Grace--The Mansions--Allegro--OCWest--Grace Bay Club--Grandview--Royal West Indies--Club Med and Ocean Club
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Howard! Where does the Sands fit in in your list? I didn't see it listed.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Denise
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Hi Howard - thank you for that run down of resorts. We are staying at Beaches in June. How far of a walk is Coral Gardens from Beaches? We were at the Allegro last year and I had snorkeling at Coral Gardens on our list of things to do but we never made it there. Needless to say, it's at the top of this year's list Thanks - Linda :0)
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Linda---Coral Gardens is about a 15 minute walk from Beaches to the west. We will be at Coral Gardens for 10 days the beginning of June. Maybe we'll bump into each other snorkeling<BR><BR>Denise-- OOPS--The Sands is next to Sibonne. Guess I got carried away with The Palms. The Bay Bistro restaurant at Sibonne is very nice and within walking distance of Sands.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Howard,<BR><BR>As always, you have been a great help. I really appreciate your willingness to take a few minutes to help people on the net.<BR><BR>Can I ask your opinion about which resort is better? By better, I mean better stretch of beach, better availability of lounges by the beach, etc...<BR><BR>Any other comments would be appreciated.<BR>My travel agent called us back and booked us at The Sands but I am still looking for thoughts about the actual resort.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR><BR>Denise
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 03:33 PM
JMM

Personally I would pick the Sands due to it's being closer to the reef at Coral Gardens but I am sure either resort would be fine.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, JMM.<BR><BR>We actually did change to The Sands. We are so excited!! Now we just have to wait four entire months!<BR><BR>Denise