Reload this Page >

Trip Rpt Part 2 11/24-11/28

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Deborah

Next day we debated about whether or not to go someplace else our stay the resort for the day. We headed down to FR beach and within 10 minutes decided to head to Coki Point instead. The beach at FR while pretty, is rough. It reminded me alot of any beach on the Atlantic Coast. Too rough for his mom to enjoy (as she didn't swim), no snorkeling. <BR><BR>We made the right decision as Coki Point proved to be the best day. Snorkeling there was terrific and I'd have to say better than at Trunk Bay on Monday. Even though his mom doesn't swim we taught her to snorkel and she got to feed the fish. You didn't even need a snorkel. They sell fish food (really dog biscuits) at Coki Point and she got a thrill out of standing in the water and seeing all the beautiful fish come right up to her. We have terrific pics! <BR><BR>Coki Point was crowded and they do bother you alot to buy drinks and to get hair braided. The first 10 minutes we were there we got asked if we were thirsty about 12 times. Guess they saw fresh meat! There was also some litter on the beach. The crowds, litter and borderline harrasment to buy something were the drawbacks but we would definitely go back again as the snorkeling was incredible. We even saw star fish there! <BR><BR>That night we ate at Captains Place? at FR. Proved to be like all other dining experiences at FR. We saw one table wait an hour just for drinks. I'm not sure what the problem is at FR in the restaraunts but it was one bad experience after another. <BR><BR>After dinner we went back to our room and found a cot waiting there. We didn't ask for one so we called the front desk and they sent someone to pick it up. <BR><BR>Next morning we checked out and found to our surprise we were charged for breakfast even though our package included it. They did remove it though. Breakfast was in Windows on the Harbour and was a buffet. It was the only good dining experience at FR but expensive. If we didn't have it included it would run about $47 for 3 people a day. <BR><BR>Our plane didn't leave till 5:30 so we decided to head downtown for some shopping. FR put our luggage in a safe place till we we're ready to head to the airport. We used the ferry shuttle at FR to go downtown. Everything I read said this was $4 per person one way but it was really $5 per person. <BR><BR>Shopping was fun and good as usual. Lots of people as there were 5 cruise ships. We went back to FR and headed back to the airport. Our vacation had ended. <BR><BR>All in all it was a good trip but we won't stay at FR again. No reason too. It was a nice enough property but we didn't like the beach and service was poor. Plus it was expensive to get around just about anywhere. Next time we need to rent a car. <BR><BR>I'm sure I've forgotten things but this is getting long and my fingers are tired! Sorry for any spelling errors. I check this site often so if anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them! <BR><BR>Hope everyone is having a pleasant holiday! <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 06:32 PM
Mike

Really enjoyed your trip report. My wife and I are headed to St. Thomas in two days. We're staying at the Morningstar resort, which I understand is also owned by Marriott and right next to the Frenchman's Reef. Did you venture over to the Morningstar area? If so, what did you think? <BR><BR>I'm disappointed to hear about the bad experiences at the restaurants at FR. I guess I'd better start researching other places to eat. <BR><BR>Wondering if you would recommend a day trip to the British Virgin Islands and/or St. John? We'd like to do a little snorkeling and some sightseeing. We're only in St. Thomas for 4 days.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:59 AM
Deborah

Mike,<BR><BR>Morningstar buildings are about 20 feet from the water. They look really nice. <BR><BR>While I've not been there myself yet, I've heard the Baths in Virgin Gorda are excellent. If you go to St. John I recommend Trunk Bay. Really any of the bays on St. John are nice. Get there early so you can enjoy a little of it without the cruise ship people.<BR><BR>They have a travel desk in the lobby at FR. You could arrange tours to either BVI or St. John thru them if you want. One thing I wanted to do and we never got around to it was a snorkeling/sailing trip. I've heard they are really fun.<BR><BR>Have a great trip! I wish I were going again and not here in the cold!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Diane

To Mike;<BR><BR>You will enjoy Morningstar. Snorkeling can be experienced there at the end of the beach by the rocks. I had dinner at Morningstar's Tavern on the Beach. Great - food and service. Morning buffet at Windows, Frenchman's Reef has a great selection - much better than Ritz Carlton. It's worth it just to be so close to see the cruise ships turn the corner as they arrive to port in Charlotte Amalie. Take their water taxi to shop in Charlotte Amalie, where you will enjoy a beautiful view, The price is not more than or less than a road taxi.<BR><BR>A great 4 island BVI day trip is New Horizans II. Takes you to the Baths and Jost Van Dyke with snorkeling opportunities. There is a 10% discount for cash or traverler's checks and an additional $5 off for mentioning the internet.<BR><BR>Have a great time.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:50 AM
mike

Thanks for the info on New Horizons II. How many people do they let on board New Horizons (sailboat or powerboat)? We've also heard good things about Stormy Petrol Pirate Penny (sp?). Any experience with the Stormy day trip?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:39 PM
Diane

I had no experience with 'Stormy&quot;. New Horizans II had about 12 people on our trip, and it did not feel crowded. It was a powerboat which is needed to accomplish the distance covered that day. They do have a sailing vessel, New Horizans I, which sails to a couple of beaches in St. John and provides a gourmet lunch. St. John does have fantastic beaches and snorkeling. The trip cost was approximately $20 less, and that boat accommodates about twice as many passengers. I did not do that trip, but it did sound interesting.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:52 PM
maggie

We just got back from St John on the 6th. We went on the Pirates Penny and had a wonderful time. Total of 12 on the boat. It took about 2 hours to get to the Baths from St John. We had an adventurous group so the captain took those that wanted to on the more daring trip through the Baths (jumping off boulders into the water). We then went on about another 30 minutes to quaint Cooper Island for lunch. (very tasty, not included in cost, cost about $10 per person). We then went on to a snorkeling spot that was just OK. Drinks (hard, beer, &amp; pop are included). The cost was $110.