Reload this Page >

Looking for another Belize

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:36 PM
Kelly

I have been to many beautiful places but nothing compares to Ambergis Caye Belize-- does anyone have any suggestions for a Caribbean vacation where there is calm waters and no crowds???? Looking at Akumal or Cozumel in Mexico??? Any advice-Thanks.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Eva

Not many places can match Belize for its beautiful waters, laid-back ease, and friendly people (we are headed back in February!!). However, one place that I keep coming back to for similar reasons is the Out Islands of the Bahamas -- the Abacos in particular. Though culturally and geographically very different from Belize, you will find much the same feel to the Out Islands, and the waters are incomparable (with much better beaches than Belize to boot). The only caveat: you may not want to head there in the dead of winter. While winter is "high" season, the weather can be subject to passing cold fronts.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
tivertonhouse

The Caribbean coast of Costa Rica and<BR>Panama,esp.Bocas del Toro/del Drago area and national marine park area in latter,both relatively unknown;also Los Roques off Venezuela.Akumal and Cozumel will seem rather crowded to you after the cays off Belize.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:19 PM
Kelly

tivertonhouse-0<BR>have you been to the car. coast of costa rica?? I have travelled to san jose, quepos, tamarindo, arenal--but heard shady things about the car. coast. Is it worth a try?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:21 PM
kelly

Eva- you are right --Belize is paradise. I have only been to san pedro-have you been to any of the other islands-maybe we will try that.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Eva

Kelly, we've only been to AC and Caye Caulker, though when we sail in February, we'll go further afield. You may want to try a trip based in Placencia (if you want the beach), or combine a beach trip in Belize with a jungle trip.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
tivertonhouse

Kelly -- One of our biz partners is leaving 8 dec for a recon trip for properties in the Bocas. It's one of those run by Texans deals with the usual huckster hustle-- heh--it's a cheap trip. So that's one side of 'shady'. However, the area's a beaut and not the Paul Theroux 'Mosquito Coast' whatsoever .Further up, friends have done a month or two exploring. There are lots of off-beaten=track cheap staffed villas, small yoga and surfer/diver retreats,etc. on the border stretching up/into CR. It's 'Loneley Planet' time:no real development save a few scattered clusters and it 'feels shadier' than what it is -- part of the allure, I guess. esp. with the influence of a lot of Jamaican culture. The Pacific Coast is a whole other planet and well-traveled, developed outside/on borders of the national parks.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:00 PM
cindy

Kelly<BR>I am not sure how warm it is in February but we just got back from Guana Cay Abaco in the out island of the Bahamas. There is a 7 mile beach that is beautiful plus some other wonderful beaches. And no and I mean no crowds. This was our 5th time there and we are going back. The weather was in the low 90s when we were there. We have been to Akumal and it is beautiful too but nothing can compare to the Abacos.