trip report

Feb 17th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

trip report

My husband and I got back last night from the Cayman Islands. We beat the snow by about 3 hours. We had a fabulous vacation.

When you arrive into the airport, there are many books and things you can poick up that advertise coupopns, happy hours, etc, so there really is a big choice.

We stayed at the Aqua Bay Club and it was great. We had an ocean front condo on the third floor. The club has only 21 units, a nice pool and jacuzzy and you can walk right onto the beach and snorkel, swim, whatever.

We are glad we had rented a jeep as cabs woild have been expensive. Our condo was at the north part of 7 mile beach-closer to west bay. YOu can get away without a car if you want to. It really is as personal decison based on where you are staying and how much moving around you want to do.

Although only 6 miles from Georgetown, it was much calmer and less crowded. We had the best of both-close to all fo the restaurants, etc but far enough away from the hotel and cruise crowds. You can dine 5 star or go to more casual places.

The supermarkets are the best I've seen in the Caribbean. We went to Fosters and stocked up on snacks, lunch and breakfast stuff. Know they are closed on Sunday's.

Dinners were our treat. Calypso Grill and Pappagallo were fabulous. We also went to the Lighthouse and the Grand Ole House. We were dissapoointed with the Cracked Conch, though. One night we had such food hangovers that we wanted a casual place. Gail the manager at Aqua Bay recommended the Sunset House-just outside of georgtown near south sound. It was great-an outdoor bar/restaurant, overlooking the ocean with great food and a casual atmosphere.

We are glad that we bought our own snorkling gear before we wnet. We were new to snorkling-in fact I took a lesson before we went. We used it everyday and we are hooked. I highly recommend bringing your own. First time snorklers-not only cover up your back but watch the top back of your legs as well.

The stingrays were cool although it was very crowded. Withe 3 or 4 cruise ships in, it was busy., I highly recommend doing stingray city but would do it int he afternoon or on a saturday or sunday to avoid the crowds.

On the topic of insect bites since they love me-when I had on my Skin So Soft combination sun screen and bug repellant, I got no bites, even on the golf course and beach. However, when I did not use it, I did get bit. So, those of you like me, avoid the beach at sunset and where bug repellant.

Finally, get to the airport in plenty of time to leave. We had 4 checked bags-2 golf, 2 regular and they looked thru them all. We were wanded at the xray and then again on the walkway to our plane. The guy even searched my pocketbook.

Thanks to all of you Cayman people who helped me plan this trip. I highly recomend Grand Cayman.

Feb 17th, 2003, 09:46 AM
EJC

Karan,Glad you made it back safely and had a fabulous time. My wife & I will be leaving for GC March 1 for 2 weeks from Pa.
I have a few ???'s if you dont mind. Did you happen to get to a resort/timeshare called Grand Caymanian on the north sound? You said that you went golfing, and this place is very close to ;THE LINKS AT SAFEHAVEN
We're renting a compact car. Can you tell me if most rentals have a steering wheel on the left or right side? We are BEACH people. What section of 7MB is the best,in terms of size and beauty? Great report, Karan.
Any other info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

No problem with questions. My pleasure. Glad you liked my report.

Yes-I did take a look at the Grand Caymanian. It is a very nice place that is full service-restaurant, pool service and room service. The accomodations range from a standard hotel room to a one bedroom suite. They have a website www.grandcaymanian.ky. It is adjacent to the Links at Safehaven. That is where we played 4 rounds of golf.

The only downside to the resort is that it is on the Sound-not the 7 mile beach. Although you can snorkel, it is not really a swimming beach. They do have a shuttle to the 7MB though.

It is located near the heart of 7 mile so you would be close to the action.

The Links at Safehaven was a very good links course. It was very windy at times though. Sometimes we used as many as three clubs more. Well worth it though.

With respect to the car, the side of the steering wheel depends on if the car is american or not. We originally had a US jeep but they switched us to a suzuki. It had the wheel on the right. If you are concerned, I would put in a special request. If you get a car with the wheel on the left, there is a huge sign over it reminding you to drive on the left. We kinda liked the wheel on the right because it reminds you that something is different.

The best driving advice we got was from the Dollar rent a car lady-right turn is long, left turn is short-look to the left. We got the hang of it pretty quickly.

We loved Aqua Bay because it was on the northern part of the beach. There are lots of great places but since it was our first trip, I can't really tell you. There are many posts from some Cayman experts on this site who can probably help you more. You might want to post a message.

There is a website www.caymanvacations.com that has a map and description of most of the condos and the beach. I can tell you though, that it is much more busy down there than at the north side of the 7 mile beach.

Feb 17th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Karan,
I'm so glad you had a great trip!! And your trip report is great. I'm sitting here in a blizzard, and reading your report makes me want to be on the island that much more. Glad you enjoyed the Lighthouse, that's one of my favorite restaurants. Did you get up to Rum Point on your trip and did you tour the rest of the island?? Is GC an island you would go back to? Again, great trip report.
Sandy
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Sandy,

Thanks Sandy.

Snow has tapered off here, but still coming down.

So glad you responded. Loved GC and would go back.

Even though a few more days would be fine, I am glad to be home. I would not have been relaxed at all. Probably would do 10 days the next time.

Did not do the rum point due to time constraints. Since we golfed, much of the day is used.

We toured a little-up to turtle farm and hell and to the lighthouse. When we go back, we would tour a little more, go to Rum Pointe, East End and Cayman Cai.

I would also try the Edge Restaurant and the another mentioned by somebody else, i think the wharf.

Thanks for you help.