Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

People rave about 7MB beach, however, it sounds like you can only use the beach by your hote/condo? Is this true?

People rave about 7MB beach, however, it sounds like you can only use the beach by your hote/condo? Is this true?

Feb 17th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

In Aruba you have full access to the beach by each resort.

If you aren't allowed to use the beaches at other resorts/condos, whats the point of the beautiful 7MB??????

Please inform me because we are deciding on a future destination.

Thank you
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Depends on what you mean by using the beach at other condos? You can walk the beach the whole length of 7 Mile. You can't go up to another condo and make use of their chairs and/or hammocks or pool. You can walk, sit the beach, no problem. If this doesn't answer your question, please be more specific. If you want another area of beach to spend the day, there are several nice public beaches.
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I think that answers the questions.

We've always stayed @ a nice resort in Aruba, but from time to time we would walk the beach and yes use their chairs.

But from the pictures I see, it doesn't seem like the beaches in the Caymans are as wide as Aruba. That is probably why you can not use their chairs.

Thanks Dee2 for your help.

Feb 17th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Filter14

Hi! Only the beach directly in front of hotels or condos are not 'accessible' to non-paying guests. I don't mean to imply you can't walk by or perhaps sit at the edge of the sand by the water...I'm sure someone else will comment on how many feet actually belong to the hotel/condos.

Having said that, there are public beaches located at various locations. There are more than enough spots to enjoy the beauty.

I've only been to Aruba once but can't say we used the chairs at any place other than the place we were guests. We follow the same logic on our visits to Grand Cayman too.

Enjoy!

Feb 17th, 2003, 11:04 AM

They are territorial about their chairs - and probably correctly so - that is why they don't like you to use their chairs. Otherwise, some places could be filled with people who are not staying at that property. The one time I was in Aruba, I don't remember the beach being any wider than it is in Cayman. Cayman has white sand and if I remember correctly, Aruba's beach is more brown. T he northern end of 7 Mile is wider. South has had problems due to fall storms. It's not like it used to be and hopefully will come back but that takes time.
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:02 PM

You are free to put your towel on the beach from the water up to the hotel's property line. There has to be a limit somewhere, however, and you shouldn't expect to have people who have paid a lot of money to stay at these hotels to feel ok about non-guests using the chairs. The Westin, for instance, charges their guests additional fees that covers the cost of the chairs, among other items. They will allow you to sit at the bar and order a drink, etc. There is a beautiful beach right next to the Governor's mansion that anyone is free to use.