Search

ferries to St. John

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Moe

ferries to St. John

My husband and I are going to St. John in two weeks and staying at the Westin. The "private" ferry from St. Thomas to St. John seems pricey. Is it REALLY worth it, or is it pretty easy to take the public ferry to Cruz Bay then a taxi to the Westin? We are travelling on a budget, so would rather use that money for a nice dinner than a 15 min ferry ride. Thanks.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:44 PM
missing

I've never heard of the &quot;private ferry&quot;, but have taken both the downtown &amp; the Red Hook. We especially enjoy the downtown which travels along St. Thomas and is an enjoyable ride, as long as the water isn't too rough.<BR>Seems to me it would be a real waste of $ to take a private ride.<BR>Save your $$.<BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:27 AM
xxx

The Westin ferry is expensive but it does deliver you directly to the Westin dock without the hassle of taxis and suitcase juggling. Also unlimited rides between St. John and Charlotte Amalie is included. The 15 minute ferry ride would also mean the taxi ride to Red Hook (about half an hour after getting your bags) and taxi to the Westin totalling approximately $20 one way per person. A trip between Charlotte Amalie and Cruz Bay would be $7 plus any taxis.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Moe

I was thinking of taking the ferry from Charlotte-Amalie to Cruz Bay-isn't this possible? The cost is $7/pp. Since it's closer to the airport, I assume the taxi ride is cheaper than out to Red Hook. I don't mind the longer ferry ride.<BR><BR>We aren't planning any excursions to St Thomas, so the unlimited trips in the private ferry doesn't matter. And we won't have much luggage, so that isn't bothersome.<BR><BR>We are young, healthy, easy-going travellers, so the extra hassles don't seem like they would be much bother. While it would be nice to have everything done for us, I just don't think the expense is worth it. I just want to make sure it IS possible, and not extremely difficult, to take the Charlotte-Amalie ferry to Cruz Bay.<BR><BR>Thanks for your input.<BR><BR>moe

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:16 AM
doc

Hi, Moe. If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose the Westin over Caneel Bay? I believe the Westin used to be a Hyatt? or something of that sort. Also, what made you choose St. John over, say, the BVI? Thanks. By the way, my wife and I visited St.Thomas several years ago and took the public ferry from Cruz Bay to Red Hook. Easy trip, inexpensive, nice boat for the 20-30 minute trip (as I recall). I'd opt for the cheaper route...no doubt.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Mike

Moe - I just got back from the Westin. Going there, I took the taxi to Red Hook then ferry to Crux Bay - no problem. Coming back, I took the ferry to Charlotte A.- again no problem.<BR>The thing to know is that the Red Hook ferry runs every hr on the hr - the Charlotte A. ferry runs not as often so it MAY be more practical when arriving to go directly to Red Hook rather than waste a few hrs. waiting. Sorry - I don't have the ferry schedules on hand but am sure you could find them on a USVI site...<BR><BR>Enjoy

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:55 AM
cdt

It's definitely cheaper to take a taxi from the airport to Charlotte Amalie and a ferry from there to St. John than it is to take a taxi from the airport to Red Hook and the ferry from Red Hook to St. John.<BR><BR>Last I knew, the taxi from Cruz Bay to the Westin was only $7 or $8 total for two (plus tip).<BR><BR>I would say that if you don't mind the extra luggage-schlepping, skip the &quot;private ferry.&quot;<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Moe

Doc, if you really must know how we decided on the Westin....<BR><BR>I am pregnant with our 3rd child (mom of a 3 y/o and almost 2 y/o also) so this is our first and last &quot;couple&quot; vacation for a long time. Originally we were going to take a family trip to Hawaii, but couldn't get the logistics to work.<BR><BR>Caribbean was our next choice. We are using my husband's ff miles and our AmEX rewards, so we were limited to about 5 islands where Delta flew in, AND had a Marriott, Hilton or Starwood resort. Based on our choices and what hotels were available, we ended up with St. John (we are going mainly to relax, read, snorkle/scuba). I read all the reviews here and on epinions, and the only downside to the Westin seems to be the murky beach and not so stellar restaurants, but we plan to venture out around the island so this is not a big deal to us.<BR><BR>Never been to the Caribbean, but spent our honeymoon in Bali and lived in Hawaii, so it will be interesting to see how this compares.<BR><BR>Moe

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Moe

Doc,<BR><BR>One other thing. Ran into a neighbor who recently went to BVI (Tortola maybe?). He said it was unbearably hot and they were wishing they had stayed in St John (he'd been there before).<BR><BR>Moe

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:56 AM
fyi

taxi fare to Waterfront $4 pp (10 minutes)<BR>taxi fare to Red Hook $8 (30 minutes on a bad day)<BR>luggage extra - same for both + tip<BR><BR>there are porters to help with luggage<BR><BR>Waterfront to Cruz Bay - $7, 45 minute ride<BR>Red Hook to Cruz Bay - $3, 15 minute ride<BR><BR>can be a long bumpy 45 min depending on weather and winds. <BR><BR>Cruz Bay to Westin - $4 + luggage, tip<BR><BR>Ferrys leave Charlotte Amalie at 1, 3, 4 and 5:30. hourly from Red Hook.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:58 AM
fyi

forgot to add you should check with the Westin to see if the $65 charge includes the taxi to the dock for their boat from the airport.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Moe

FYI,<BR><BR>Thanks for the fare info - that was about what I'd read in some guidebooks. Much cheaper it appears, but not much less inconvenient. Think we'll go with the public ferry (either Red Hook or Charlotte-Am, depending on time we get there).<BR><BR>Thanks all for the input.<BR><BR>moe

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Ronnie

What no one has mentioned is that once you give them your luggage at the airport, you don't see it again until your room! You are checked in at the airport in St. Thomas. All transfers are included!<BR>Ronnie

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Pam

Can you take cars on the ferries between the islands - any idea of the prices.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:22 AM
just another

If you just pack lightly, you won't need to &quot;schlepp&quot; a lot of luggage.<BR><BR>We women tend to over pack. After we got there last year for our weddding and honeymoon. We realized all you need is a couple pairs of shorts, bathing suit, and a sundress. Very very casual island. <BR><BR>It is gorgeous in St. John. You will want to return. Check out (if you have time) the beautiful villas around the island because you will want to go that route the next time. We loved having a villa for the privacy, rooom, pool and spectacular views.<BR><BR>Have a great vacation!!!!