traveling with older children in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planing a vacation with my kids (18,21 and 22) in August for a week before they all head back to college. Any ideas to keep them happy. I was thinking Aruba AI because they tend to consume alcohol and it could get pricey. Also I assume it would have more activities at a All inclusive. I'll go any where that has a great beach.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We took our kids to the Aruba Marriott. I was not all inclusive. I guess if they are drinking a lot, all inclusive will definitely be a plus. Our kids are 18 an 17. So, we are right at the beginning stages of partying a little. There are many good all inclusives on Aruba and it is a fun island for teens with lots of water sports and activities. Our kids had a great time.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 01:58 AM

cheapcaribbean.com

bookit.com

AIs best with a crowd if liquor is the focus

almondresorts.com prettier islands out of the storm belt

Aruba beachy flat hot deserty lots of places with drug pushers

kids can get into trouble in like Mr Frog's where

Natalie Holloway sadly found out with VanDerSlut..

The Hyatt at Palm Eagle beach my fav but careful with

kids that party...

Careful research yields better experience...

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 05:17 AM
KVR

Aruba is a great place for a family vacation. I usually discourage AI's in Aruba since there are tons of restaurants and bars. However, if alcohol is going to be a big expensive look at the RIU and Occidental on Palm beach. Right in front of the Hyatt is a water sports area that your kids may like.

As with any destination, good common sense when drinking and partying is a must.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 05:24 AM

We've been to Aruba many times.The Marriott is not my favorite hotel since it tends to have a very crowded, and more narrow beach. We usually stay at The Radisson, which I think has the best beach of any high rise hotel.

In terms of AI, probably a good idea if you'll be drinking, but there are plenty of cheap dining options on Aruba if you decide not to go that way. Also- not to lecture you- since I have older kids, too, but if they're going to drink a lot, keep an eye out for them. It's possible to get lost, disoriented, and get in plenty of trouble, esp. if they wander downtown at night.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM

ai's and lots of activities equals maya riviera coast to me. tons of wonderful large ai's to choose from and a plethora of activities - golf/tennis, dive/snorkel, caves/cenotes to explore, mayan ruins (coba, chichen itza, tulum), duty free shopping in playa del carmen, zip lines, fishing (deep sea or bone), 2 marine parks: xel-ha & xcaret, explore sian ka'an biosphere by kayak, atv jungle rides, horseback...
locogringo.com has info on everything to see or do in the area plus hotels, dining & transportation info.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I dont plan on the kids getting out of control since they don't go crazy at home with their friends. It is a family trip and we will be together. I just thought if they consumed 3 or 4 drinks a day x 4(me of course, my husband is the sober one Lol) it could get costly. Do the big hotels that are not AI do they have activities included if there is no food and drinks included?
Water sports, games ie
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

@ Virginia, my husband is steering us away from Mexico. He is afraid of the unrest and violence going on there. Does anybody have an opinion on that ?
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 08:04 AM

well, lol, i have an opinion. the "unrest & violence" is limited to border towns and the western areas of mexico. so kind of like suggesting people avoid chicago during katrina.
2 issues have come up with maya riviera area (south of cancun to tulum). one was the murder, several yrs ago, of tv producers wife at a hotel in cancun - husband is accused, & more recently a cruise ship employee was killed on cozumel by her local boyfriend.

hopefully some other fodorites can jump in with their opinions.

i went 3 yrs ago with my best friend and her 80yr old mom. we rented a villa & car. never felt nervous anywhere we went.

i wanted to add that some of the larger ai's S(riu's, iberostars) have bars restricted to 25 or younger that open at 9 or 10. thus the kids can party on property if they wish and you don't have to worry about them getting lost or into any trouble.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
KVR

I would have recommended Playa del Carmen/Rivera Maya except you want to go in August. We have been going to Mexico for the last 10 years. Most recently this past December. There are no issues in the tourist areas. Actually, we talked to several locals on 5th Avenue and they are hurting pretty bad due to the media hype and the incorrect assumptions from potential travelers.

The AI's in Mexico will give you way more bang for your buck and there is so many more things to see and do off property that I think your kids would enjoy. August is hot and humid. We've been a few times in that month and just sweltered. We started going the first week of December instead. Also, it's prime hurricane insurance, so if you choose, buy the insurance.

You will find drugs and crime everywhere, every destination and your own hometown. I happen to work as a Nurse in the drug/alcohol/corrections field and see more in my own backyard than I have even seen on vacation. Just use common sense and stay in tourist areas, just like you do at home. I have no problem walking around the tourist areas anytime in Aruba or in Mexico. Now my own neighborhood after dark. I don't think so.