TRAVEL TO SANTO DOMINGO

Search

TRAVEL TO SANTO DOMINGO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRAVEL TO SANTO DOMINGO

Can anyone share information on vacationing in Santo Domingo. I'm researching the Barcelo Capella Beach Resort for travel next summer. Been hearing that it may not be safe to go there. Are the beaches really nice? Comparing a trip to DR versus Negril, Jamaica. Thanks much.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Santo Domingo is the capital of the Dominican Republic and does not have beaches...but the Barcella Capella is in one of the resort areas...check out..
http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com.
The D.R. has several resort areas, Boca Chica, Punta Cana, La Romana, Puerta Platta, Sousa....etc. and is a great place to have a vacatio..wonderful beaches and people..
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:57 AM

I would steer clear of Santo D. Try other areas in the DR such as Punta Cana, La Romana and Puerta Plata. We stayed in Boca Chica once and would prefer to go elsewhere.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Punta Cana has wonderful beaches. They also have many reasonably prices resorts. All offer a day trip to Santo Domingo for a tour, lunch, shopping, and history. It is quite informative and the tour price was reasonale as well. Plus it gets you out of the resort for a day.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Been traveling to DR for 15 years. A place of enormous beuaty and contrast. Where you go depends on the kind of traveler you are. Eco type tourism you may enjoy Las Terrenas, El Portillo in the peninsula of samana, it is still not quite spolied...
For pretty beaches and good all inclusive if that is your bag.. then you will find it in Punta Cana, Bavaro Beach Bavaro Palace and others have calm blue waters and soft white sand.
For rougher more dramatic surf: Northern Puerto Plata has some all inclusives, and you can drive to Cabarete to see windsurfers if they are still gathering there.
Boca CHica is the cheesiesst in my opinion, it is not high quality, but if you must go by there the people are very nice and there are some simple places to stay like La Hamaca, but I would not recommend it if you are a beach lover....The road there has imprved...
You can fly directly into Punta Cana if you wish.
The capital is an interesting place, if you are the flexible type. It is a traffic gridlock nightmare with many interesting and historic spots. It is one of the oldest cities you can see and it definitely has its poverty but I feel it is quite the cultural experience.
Danger to tourists is only if you make the mistake of forgetting youare american and you act like you are on a deserted isalnd. this is not a deserted island by any means...dress appropriately for attractions not like everyday is a beach day, people there work for a living. They appreciate apppropriate attires in their landmarks...
The drive through the center of the country is interesting and pretty on a very good road. Jarabacoa is a hilly beatiful area with waterfalls and rivers. La Vega and the Cibao region is laid back...Santiago is a growing city town...
good luck
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:32 AM
me

Been to the DR over a dozen times myself , I agreed with "tjtravel" post.It's really have the whole DR covered .Great post !-If calm , white sand beach is important to you , stay in La Romana or Punta Cana .For big waves Playa Grande(an hour from Puerto Plata) or Sosua.All these areas have all-inclusive .Would definitely check out Santo Domingo for (very interesting)history and culture ,(more shopping ,restaurants and clubs than Negril).
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Great information so I will begin my research of Punta Cana - this sounds more interesting to me.