travel in August

Jun 6th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

travel in August

I am considering traveling to the carribean in August with my 5 year old and husband. Last August, my son and I went to Cancun and he loved it. I am considering going back there or go to Jamaica or Aruba. My main concern is a place where it is all inclusive and has a great kids club. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Jun 7th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Don't choose Aruba if you want an all-inclusive resort. There are only a couple there. Jamaica has several good options, but most of the all-inclusives are not in the MoBay area, so that means an additional hour or more of travel once you land. There are Riu resorts in Jamaica, and they will offer an atmosphere similar to that in Cancun. The best family resort in Jamaica is the FDR, but it's rather expensive.
Jun 7th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Negril, Jamaica is a good choice. It's worth the 1 1/2 hour drive from the airport in Montego Bay. 7 Mile beach is beautiful and the water is nice and calm so you wouldn't have to worry about your 5 year old swimming in huge waves. There are some big all-inclusives in Negril that have very organized kid's activities (Beaches Negril, Beaches Sandy Bay, Riu Negril and Riu Tropical Bay) as well as some smaller resorts that aren't AIs.

We have been to Jamaica several times w/o our kids but decided to take them with us this summer. We did alot of research on the different resorts. We looked into FDR and Beaches Boscobel, which are not in Negril. They both looked very nice and were actually alot cheaper than Beaches Negril and Beaches Sandy. I'm pretty sure that FDR assigns a nanny to each family, which is included in the price. We ended up booking Beaches Negril for August.
Jun 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM

I am about to book a trip to Cancun in mid-August ... how hot will it be ? Is it nuts to go there then ? (it's the only time my family and kids can all coordinate a vacate ...) Thanks d
Jun 8th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Sure, it'll be hot (humid too). But it's not unbearable and the powdery white coral-based sand of Cancun beaches is actually not as blisteringly hot as the brownish rock-based sand that you run into at most U.S. beaches, so it can actually work out to be a MORE comfortable place to be.

You'll hear a lot of warnings about "hurricane season", and of course there *IS* always the possibility of a big storm ruining your trip, but it's still just a "possibility" and the PROBABILITY is that you WON'T have any weather-related problems.

If it were the "trip of a lifetime" (like a honeymoon or something), I might say think about going at a different time, but if August is when you can do it, that's when you can do it, and chances are that if you went to Cancun in August, you'd have a blast.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

TO ABCD03.

Sorry it took so long to respond to your e-mail. I went to Rivera Maya to the Grand Flamenco Xcaret resort. I went in the last week of August and it was very hot. The hotel was beautiful and my son enjoyed it tremendously. He was in the kids club everyday from opening to closing. There were many restaurants to choose from as well as a buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner. The resort is very large and they have a shuttle that travels around the resort. It is connected to Xcaret park which is free for persons who are booked at the hotel. My son wants to go back but my husband wants to go back to Negril. Check the Occidental website.