Search

Tortola Dining & Watering Holes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tortola Dining & Watering Holes

Hi there:

As we count down on our upcoming trip to Tortola I would like to get suggestions on where to eat and drink.

For places to eat we are looking for local food stuff. We live in a major city so the appeal of a sit down, white table cloth dinner does not appeal to us. Street foods, BBQ, Johnnie Cakes etc that appeals to us!

More important we need suggestions for great watering holes. Knowing how much we love to drink and have good conversations at the same time, any suggestions on local dive bars etc would be great. I am looking forward to trying Boomba Shack's famous mushroom tea!

foodiechan.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:06 AM

The BVI are the world capital of beach bars, so if you like those, you're in luck. I don't know how mobile you will be, so I'll limit my stream-of-consciousness thoughts to Tortola (but if you want more islands, I can certainly provide some thoughts there, too -- just ask).

- Best BBQ, bar none, is C&F. Great ribs and chicken for sure, but I generally go a little more "local" and get a curried conch appetizer and a whole grilled fish (head-on -- don't get this if you're squeamish about looking at a mouthful of sharp teeth). Don't be intimidated by the somewhat run-down look, and consider reserving, as it's quite popular among locals and visitors alike.

- De Loose Mongoose at Trellis Bay has my favorite conch fritters; the rest of the food is good, if basic. It's also got a signature drink called the No-See-Um. Be careful; you won't know what hit you (hence the name).

- On Cane Garden Bay, I like Myett's. Be sure to check out the specials. Last time I went, I got the curried mutton (really, goat). It was fantastic.

- The Jolly Roger at Soper's Hole has a laid back attitude, decent food and good drinks.

- You'll see the Pusser's chain in Roadtown, Soper's and Marina Cay. I'd just as soon skip it. Pusser's rum is -- at least to me -- swill (when I visit their location in Annapolis out of nostalgia for De Islands, I order the Painkiller drink with Mt. Gay, and no one bats an eye; they know...). The food is unremarkable and just somewhat island-styled (add a little jerk and curry to your standard Bennigan's menu and you've got a Pusser's menu). The service can be a bit surly as well.

- The ultimate beach bar is The Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. It's mostly a daytime thing, so consider taking a ferry over for a few hours. The beach is a stunner. I always order a Mellow Mango Magic, which is basically a Painkiller (it was invented at the SDB) but made with mango vodka instead of the dreaded Pusser's rum. They make nice conch fritters and a good flying fish sandwich, but their hamburgers are actually quite good for the islands.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
GoTravel

Fat Hog Bob's is a great place for happy hour. On the water with great breezes and open air.

The Last Resort off Trellis Bay is neat (private island) and the food is excellent.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:43 PM

You must try Palm's Delight in Carrot Bay, Sebastians, and Coco Plums. Very good!

Peace, Greenie
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Palm's Delight for gingerwine chicken.

North Beach Shell Museum for breakfast.

Coco Plum's for lunch or dinner.

We liked the open deck seating at Fat Hog Bob's, but the food wasn't wonderful. The price was good, the food was decent, and the location was perfect after spending a few thirsty hours at the deserted Long Bay East/Beef Island beach.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Have any of you been to Mrs. Scatliffe's lately? Years ago I took my family there, and we loved the experience. I think it might be right up foodiechan's alley (the foodie alley, not the watering hole one)!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Palms Delight (good johnnycakes) and Coco Plums (great mushrooms) are good. Pisces in Soper's Hole makes a good breakfast (eggs benedict). I also like the Jolly Roger - never had anything there that I didn't love.

If you can time it right (and it's happening) there's often a fish fry at the intersection near Sebastian's in Little Apple Bay on Friday nights. (Near Bomba's.) It's by the ball field under the BIG tree- you can't get more local than that.

Bananakeet for the view of the sunset/cocktails/dinner.