Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Ok, we just booked Ku...now we need your Anguilla recommendations!

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone's help on these boards, we have decided on Anguilla for our 6 night vacation, June 27-July 3. I booked Ku today, they were sold out of the beachfront suites, so we got an ocean/pool view. We are also going to Aruba with some friends in April, and Hawaii (Maui/Oahu) for our anniversary in August. We are really looking forward to a peaceful, romantic, and relaxing vacation on Anguilla.

We are flying into St. Martin (and out of Anguilla) and are taking the Cap Juluca sea shuttle over to Anguilla. We will be renting a car.

How about restaurants? So far I think we would like to try Picante, Straw Hat, and I am reading "A Trip to the Beach" so probably Blanchard's. Where else should we try for dinner? What about casual lunches on the beach? We like seafood, burgers, etc...

I think we will be spending most of our time relaxing on Shoal Bay East since that's where our hotel is...any other beaches we should try? Are there beach chairs and umbrellas for rent at other beaches?

We also enjoy snorkeling, although I know Anguilla is not known for snorkeling. Is it worth it to try Little Bay, or a boat trip somewhere?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Zaras at Shoal Bay Beach east is a nice place for dinner. Try Koal Keel in the Valley on the road to Crocus Hill on the left. Call for reservations and ask for Ambrose to be your waiter. Altamer is very nice for dinner. Dumpa and the vibes play Tuesday and piano music the other nights. Mangos is also good. They have music on Mon and thurs I believe. We also like Trattoria Tratmonto on Shoal Bay Beach West. you can use their lounge chairs and umbrellas if you eat lunch there. Try Barrel Stay in Sandy Ground For lunch. Their hamburger with caramelized onions is very good. So is the lobster salad. At Picante the Tequilla lime brick chicken is very good as are the seafood enchilladas (Don't have them every night so call first. Great margaritas and don't forget the chocolate pudding

For relatively inexpensive meals or lunch Tasty's and E's oven. At Shoal Bay east there's Gwens, Elodias, Tropical Sunset which are all good. On Sunday go to Scilly Cay around 11 AM or Noon--The Happy Hits play. Relatively expensive but worth doing once. The lobster/crayfish platter is enough for two to share for lunch. Killer rum punches. Also music at the Shoal Bay beach bars on Sun.

Snorkeling off Shoal Bay East is fairly good. JR. has a boat and does snorkeling trips from there. He normally hangs out at Uncle Ernies next to Ku'. Smoothie has a water sports shop in front of Ku' don't know if he does trips though. Worth meting him though. Real cool guy. You might consider a day snorkel/sail trip on Chocolat. Goes to Prickly Pear and Sandy Island and includes lunch. Contact [email protected]. Keep the questions coming
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM

I agree with everything Howard said and would add Palm Grove at Junk's Hole for lunch (you can snorkel there while your meal is being prepared) and on July 1, Rendezvous Bay Hotel is closing until November. It's a piece of Anguillian history for lots of reasons & you should try to go there for lunch -- excellent restaurant and you can use the lounge chairs; the beach is magnificent!

Also Sandy Ground is fun -- the Pumphouse & Johnno's have live music at night (not peaceful or relaxing kind of places).
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Howard and Mary: Thank you so much for these wonderful suggestions! I will be sure to print them out and bring them with us. I am so looking forward to this trip...I have wanted to visit Anguilla for years, ever since there was a "Chronicle" episode on the island.

As our trip nears, I'm sure I will be posting more specific questions on the island and all it has to offer. Thanks again!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:41 AM

I second Blanchards, Staw Hat and Picante. Blanchards was out favorite and we went to Picante twice! I aslo recommend Mango's. I also wanted to try Oliver's but we never made it. Also, try Corner Bar pizza...awesome pizza with crab, conch and lobster. And definitely get crayfish at Smitty's. And for a fun evening, go to the pumphouse.