Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Heading to Tortola/Sugar Mill: Beach & Food Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:34 PM
JP

I'm heading to Tortola this coming weekend for a week at the Sugar Mill. As this'll be my first time in the BVI, I'd appreciate any and all recommendations on beaches and especially food -- any must-have treats to add to my itinerary?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>/JP

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:08 AM
swb

We were in Tortola in 1998 around this time of year and are going back this August. We loved it! The Sugar Mill has a wonderful restaurant, pretty expensive, and there are many other fun restaurants. We ate at Quito's Gazebo, which had live music, Long Bay Beach Resort (just okay, but a fun atmosphere), and unfortunately my memory is failing me.... If you are there for the full moon, you have to stop by Bomba's Shack for the full-moon party, which is quite a celebration. I think the full moon is around the 20-22nd this month. Purchase Fodor's BVI travel guide, which has many good suggestions. You can also do a search on this forum...just put in "Tortola" and hit enter and all chats aobut Tortola will come up. We read some very helpful posts recently. Also, try Travel and Leisure online and Conde Nast's Traveler online. Here are two links to articles we read recently: <BR>http://www.caribbeantravelmag.com/CTL_Main/1,3690,2-1-8-10122-0-0,00.hml<BR>http://www.caribbeantravelmag.com/CTL_Main/1,3690,2-1-1-3564-168-140,00.html<BR><BR>Plan to go on a day trip or two to a nearby island. We went to St. John's, which is lovely, but has the feel of a state-side trip, and this time we're going to Jost Van Dyke. The beaches in Tortola are wonderful: try Smuggler's Cove, Cane Garden Bay, and Long Bay Beach. The beach that is closest to Sugar Mill is tiny but pretty. Have fun.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Nancy

Lucky you JP!<BR>The Sugar Mill has one of the best restaurants on Tortola. We stayed at Long Bay about five years ago, and the food was very good there also, but I have heard mixed reviews lately. <BR>Definitely go to Smuggler's Cove (gorgeous beach), although when I was there, there were not any "facilties."<BR>Was not impressed with Pusser's (for food in Road Town.)

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:07 PM
jackie

We did Brandywine and Sugar Mill which are noted as 2 of the best on the Island. The atmosphere was great, the food was ok and not worth the price. My favorite meals were the ginger chicken at Palm Delight (almost across from Sugar Mill) and tuna at Jolly Roger.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Molly

Our favorite by far was Sugar Mill - Long Bay was just ok - Pussers for lunch was fine - Sebastians was pretty good.