Search

Which hotel on Tortola?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which hotel on Tortola?

Hi,

In May we are bareboating the BVI for a week, then staying on Virgin Gorda for a week. All of this is with a group of friends, so we are thinking of staying a few nights on Tortola alone before heading back to California. I am looking at the Sugar Mill and Long Bay. Any suggestions? We love a nice beach, and peace and quiet will probably sound good by then. Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:43 AM
CherokeeRose

We stayed at Long Bay & loved it. Had a fabulous buffet breakfast right on the beach every morning. One of my "plan to return to" destinations. Very quiet, excellent walking beach.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:45 AM
cdt

Sugar Mill and Long Bay would both be quiet but L.B. has the better (and longer) beach. Sometimes Long Bay is a bit rough for swimming.

If you have time, visit Smuggler's Cove beach, west of Long Bay.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Long bay is more like a resort. Pools, tennis courts, multiple buildings. Sugar Mill is more like a bed and breakfast.

If you like that area, also look into Sebastians. It is B&B like, but a little bigger maybe. It is in the middle between the two and has a very nice beach, excellent restaurant, and rooms right on the beach. Or if you are interested in an apartment, Coconut Point is right down the road from Sugar Mill and run by the same people as Sebastians.

Second the visit to smugglers cove. Great beach, but god-awful road getting down there.

Enjoy Tortola, we really loved it!

Peace, Greenie
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. CherokeeRose, how long ago did you stay at Long Bay? I read some reviews that said the service was not good, and I am wondering if that has changed. Right now we are leaning toward the Sugar Mill. Has anyone stayed there?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:46 AM
CherokeeRose

It was 2 summers ago - but the service was typical of everywhere I've been in the Caribbean. To me, that's part of the charm.