Search

Topless Sunbathing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topless Sunbathing

Does anyone know if topless sunbathing is accepted in BVI? Do not want to get arrested.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:39 AM

No Sex Please! They are British. . .
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Definitely not as a general rule, although depending on several factors, it can be done.
Firstly, in order to avoid offending the residents, one shouldn't sunbathe topless on an island where it is not generally accepted (most/all of the French-influenced islands like St. Barts, St. Martin, etc. condone it).
(I heard the police were called a few years back when someone got a little too "free" on the beach in front of Bomba's.)

That having been said, there are several ways to go about it if one is determined to do so without causing a ruckus.

1.) Private walled villa - make sure none of the staff are due for a visit
2.) Sailboat/catamaran deck of private boat - or ask your crew if it's acceptable if a crewed boat. (NOT a tour - a chartered boat.)
3.) Some deserted beaches in off-season come to mind. Last time I was at Smuggler's Cove on Tortola, there was a girl topless and none of the other (few) people seemed to mind.

My general rule is that I would never consider it on an island in the BVI's unless I was pretty darn sure no one was about. I don't like to do anything that might offend locals. (Now, tourists, that's another story!)
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:26 AM

Yes, I completely agree with Diana. Anytime that I am on one of the British-influenced islands, I keep my swimsuit top on when I am on resort property or popular public beaches. However, that being said, there are several secluded beaches that are only reached by boat all over the BVIs. If you are staying at one of the resorts that offers you a castaway picnic and/or a Boston whaler to go off on your own, there's no reason not to do a little topless sunbathing if you are truly in a secluded area. If someone should come upon you in a situation like that, make a motion to put your top on. If the "intruder" doesn't give a rat's patootie one way or the other, he or she will let you know. If, however, he or she doesn't stop you from putting your top back on, it's a good bet you should keep it on.

If you have a resort drop you off on a private stretch of sand, don't disrobe until the staff member is out of sight, and be sure to get dressed again before the designated time for the staff to pick you up. Discretion will get you everywhere!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I guess I should have noted that I wouldn't dare bare it on the public or resort beaches, I am a little shy. My husband and I are going to LDB and thought there might be secluded places.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Are there such secluded beaches among the islands in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda (within reach of the Boston Whalers provided by Biras Creek)? The descriptions make it sound like you can find your own little beach, but the pictures of the sound appear to show a fair amount of boat traffic.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:49 AM

In Barbados last week, I was surprised to see girls sunbathing topless on the beach, but noticed that they did cover up when stepping back onto resort property. No ruckus other than a couple of husbands scrambling for cameras and some ticked-off wives.