Turks & Caicas Vs. Other Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the past six February's my husband and I have gone to TCI and stay at the Sands. I thought I might like to try another island. Our trip runs $3500-$4000. What is St. Lucia like? I like the idea of different topography. I'm also a beach walker, hence our return to Grace Bay every year. We've been to Aruba and the Bahamas.
Thanks for your input.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:08 AM

Hello Tannedtoes,

Well, I can't speak specifically of St.Lucia, though one day I would like to see all of the Carribean. I have been to many of the Islands (Antigua, St.Martin, Jamaica, Dominican, Bahamas, Turks, Cancun, St.Kitts) and would rank Turks and Caicos near the top.

What I will say is that we went to St.Kitts thinking the same as you, that the lush and mountainous terrain would be a welcome change from the flater drier places we've seen like Aruba and Puerto Plata. We were a bit dissapointed in the end. Reason being, as a beach lover, it just didn't measure up. I do believe St. Lucia is also not as known for it's beaches. On the flip side, we did rent a car and tour the island. We saw Vervet Monkeys which was neat.

Of everywhere we've travelled, I loved Antigua and rank it along the same lines as Turks. We liked the resort we were on and the beaches were phenomenal. Jamaica has an interesting blend of good beaches and hilly terrain but it is not as safe to rent a vehicle and roam the Island. St. Martin is also a possible choice for you but based on our experience it still didn't compete with Turks or Antigua.

I might also suggest checking out Tortola as a possible option. We docked here on a cruise and went to a gorgeous beach. The island is less touristy but absolutely breathtaking. I think it's a pricier Island but I don't think you should have a problem based on your budget. Since having kids we haven't been able to afford the pricier destinations for all four of us.

All being said, it's not to say we won't go to St.Lucia ourselves in due time. We like to see different places. But I would need to prepare for the fact that there are far nicer beaches on other Islands. Our next trip in January will be to Curacao. I think based on my research that their beaches fall somewhere in between. There are nice soft sand white beaches around but there are also many coral beaches great for snorkelling. Depends on how it goes, we may be near the pool most of the time.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:03 AM

Take a look at Grenada. We're going there in March & they have something like 46 beaches, plus the resort rates are quite reasonable. I love Provo, but also enjoy some of the hilly islands once in awhile.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:29 AM

Couldn't be 2 more different islands.

My personal opinion:
Beach/water: T&C wins hands down
Island beauty: St. Lucia wins hands down.
Activities/Sightseeing: T&C is all about water activities and relaxing with not much else to do, while St. Lucia has picturesque fishing villages and natural sights like the pitons, rainforest, etc...

Don't remember long beaches in St. Lucia (more like coves) but our trip was years ago. If you want something similar to T&C a lot of people seem to find Anguilla very similar. I haven't been to Anguilla though so can't vouch for that.

There's a poster on this board who has a fantastic journal of herr trips with pictures. I think her pictures capture what St. Lucia has to offer:
www.nbhtravel.com
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:14 AM

If you're looking for a change of topography but wanting to maintain long, walkable beaches, I would second the previous poster who suggested Grenada. It's a lush and mountainous island, beautiful interior with good hiking and waterfalls, sleepy fishing villages, pretty good roads for exploring on your own, and just about every amenity a tourist could wish for. Check out hotels on Grand Anse, the main tourist beach which is close to two miles long. You'll have everything there from small guesthouses like Jenny's Place to mid-range resorts like Coyaba and Grenada Grand to the exlusive Spice Island Beach Resort AI. Check out www.grenadaexplorer.com for a very nice website.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM
KVR

I would have to agree with caribtraveler. We went to St. Lucia Nov. 05, and then T & C May '06. Two totally different places and experiences. Of the 2, we enjoyed St. Lucia the most. Very scenic, lush, waterfalls, and flora.

We are very active on vacation so hiking at Pidgeons Point, jungle safari tour with hiking to a gorgeus waterfall, sightseeing and shopping was for us. Yes, Grace Bay is a lovely beach and is in no way comparable to St. Lucia, but it could not hold our attention for a week. We stayed at Sandals Grande St. Lucia and thought their beach was quite nice. On one of our excursions, we went to a Black Sand Beach. Reminded me of Hawaii.

If interested, here's the link to our pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn