To ejcrowe

Oct 12th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

To ejcrowe

Hi there. Saw your message. I would love to do the biobay tour. Can you tell me how long it lasted? As long as you want it to? Thanks.
Oct 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM

The whole trip is about 2 hours. You may have a short introduction before boarding the bus (they were doing it a couple of years ago, but cannot remember them doing it last winter).
Then the bus ride is about a half hour each way, and that would be boarding on and off the bus and onto the boat. A few minutes getting everyone into the water and about 30 minutes in the water.
Time to go out for a drink or dinner afterwards!
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mahobaygirl.Are you talking about a bus full of people? Are there any private tours?
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Yeah, I'd say about 2 hours. We opted for the later tour and we were told that folks on the second tour (starts at 7:30 pm) can play in the water a little bit longer because nobody would be waiting for us to get back.

Yes, it's a busload of people, but that didn't hinder our enjoyment at all. I'd say there were about 25 of us. I'm not familiar with any private tours that go out, but you could certainly ask at Island Adventures.

I know that Island Adventures doesn't go out to the biobay for several nights surrounding the full moon. If you can, try to plan your trip around that time so that the night sky will be as dark as possible for your tour.

Oct 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Is the water deep or shallow? (think 4-year-old who can't swim).
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM

The water in the bay doesn't get deeper than 20 feet, as I recall, and where we were swimming off the boat I never touched the bottom. But everyone is required to wear a float-belt in the water. I didn't think I would like wearing it, but I'm glad I had it so that I could do all sorts of experimental movements without worrying about geting a snortful of water.

There were definitely kids Patrick's age on our tour and they were fine in the water, but of course I have no idea if those kids already knew how to swim or not.
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

We'll bring his vest. If he doesn't want to go in, my husband and I will take turns I guess. Thanks again.
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Do I remember correctly that he didn't care for Sting Ray City? Was it scary or was he cold? Sorry, can't recall and too lazy to do a search right now for your trip report.

He very well might be intrigued by the effect of seeing lights in the water at night. It looked quite magical, and it could be fascinating enough for him without being scary at all. Who can tell?
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Oh, NOTHING scares that child! He got hit by a wave (it was cold) and got cranky.
Oct 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM

There may be freelancers who offer to take you out in their boat, but be careful. I stated on another post that we ran into a family being dropped off at the pier that went out with someone on a motor boat and were disappointed (cannot remember details) and also read another post on another forum that mentioned being "ripped off" by a random person in their own boat.
I usually do not like crowds, but the busful of people on this tour are much different, quiet and wanting to learn. Your little one will love it, it is like fairy dust!
Oct 13th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Sorry to butt in but where is this biobay tour? It sounds fantastic! And I am trying to plan for other destinations beside STJ.
Oct 13th, 2006, 05:21 AM

We *always* welcome head-butts from you, Tuxedocat!

The biobay we're talking about is in Vieques, but there is another one on the mainland of PR near Fajardo on the east coast.

It's quite marvelous, but unless you intend to charter a helicopter, it requires an overnight stay on the island because the ferries and commuter planes don't travel after dark. I believe both Air Sunshine and Cape Air connect St. Thomas with PR. I don't know if anything flies directly between STT and Vieques, however. But if you can get away for a brief overnight once you're on St. John, I think you'd love it!
Oct 13th, 2006, 05:31 AM

What is a "biobay?" We're going to PR in February and my friend wants to do the night swim and see phospherates but I'm not sure this is one in the same (and personally am not thrilled about swimming in the dark in shark-infested waters , but for my friend, I will If not the same, has anyone here done the swim I'm referring to?
Oct 13th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

mahobaygirl: We won't go freelance. I just thought that ejcrowe had done a private tour. Obviously my memory fails me!

Tuxedocat & Sleeepy: http://www.vieques-island.com/biobay.shtml
Oct 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Thanks. But now that I read it, I must point out this quote: "The light attracts bigger predators that feed on the smaller creatures that eat the protozoans." holy #&%^(!! Have any of you done this at night off the East Coast of PR (not Vieques) - I'll be doing this from Old San Juan (I'm there only one night in February)?
Oct 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM

How do you get to the other one around the East Coast (we're staying in San Juan one night/pre-cruise)? I'm still freaked, though, about night swimming in any body of water .
Oct 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM

sleeepy, I hear ya! Before I experienced it, I was thinking along those lines, too. But once out in the middle of the bay (which was *very* sheltered), I truly felt perfectly safe.
Oct 16th, 2006, 05:02 AM

ejcrowe (or anyone w/info) - do you know anything about the biobay located in PR on the east coast? How do you get there, etc. Thanks.
Oct 16th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Sorry, other than knowing it's in or near Fajardo, I can't tell you a thing. I'd bet that the online Fodor's mini-guides right here on this site could at least give you a jumping-off point for seeking more info, though.