Search

Tipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping

Hi All;

Searching the net, I find all kinds of info on tipping so I need to ask more specifically.

We are going to an all-inclusive 4 star in Dominican.

What is a recommended (for good service) tip for:

- staff (says tips are included) (bartenders etc)
- at the ala-carte restaurant
- housekeeping
- excursions (jeep safari day trip)
- baggage handlers (airport)
- Bellboy
- * Locals when we are on day trip
- other?

I've seen people hand out items vs. $ such as gum, tooth paste, candy, tooth brush, other - is this actually meaningful? To whom specifically? (such as locals) We want to do well here but not insult anyone either.

Thank you!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 07:15 AM

So the first thing you want to know is what the policy of the resort is. While most DR all-inclusives allow tipping, some actively discourage it.

When I go to the DR I take a large stack of $1 bills and use them throughout my stay. If you have a private transfer, then you tip as you normally would, but if you have a bus transfer, at most $1 per person. At the resort, $1 for each round of drinks, $1 each to the housekeeper every day, $1 for each bag to the hotel bellman, $1 when someone offers extra help, etc. That's all your choice. Not everyone tips, but it's expected and even encouraged.

When you go on a tour, you can tip a couple of dollars per person to everyone (driver, guide, etc.). They may have a bucket where they collect tips or you may have to give them individually.

I don't allow anyone to take my bags at the airport, so I never have to tip there. If you want help, then tip at least a couple of dollars or $1 per bag if you have a lot of bags.

I personally find the giving of little things to be a bit awkward. If I were to visit a school, I'd certainly take supplies, but people at resorts are working and both want and need money, not gum. They'll take whatever you give them, but since you don't know what they want or need, money is always the best thing. It doesn't have to be a huge amount (and I never tip a huge amount).
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 03:13 PM

Pretend you are European. We don't tip. Especially in all in resorts. Zero. Wallet stays in the safe.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 03:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No! Please do not hand out trinkets.

Tip people you want to thank only with cash and preferably in local currency.

Do not listen to the post directly above, terrible advice, although it is called "all inclusive" tips are expected and much appreciated by the good local people who will be taking care of you. Do follow Doug's advice to check with your specific resort on their customs.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Money is the best form of tips and can be given in USD or the local currency (Dominican Pesos). Some people prefer USD. When tipping, I agree with the reply from Doug. Some tourists wait until the end of their vacation to tip, but I think it's better to begin your vacation tipping the staff...that way, you're almost guaranteed to get better service that you can enjoy while you're there.
If you're going on a safari excursion that takes you to the local countryside, etc., I'd consider bringing things like school supplies, clothes, shoes, toys, etc., that people can use. NO candy, though, as lots of people in the countryside don't have access or can't afford to go to the dentist. Have a nice vacation. XOXO Rawnie
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:14 PM

The other reason not to wait until the end to tip, is that different people might be taking care of you different days. Your maid may not always be the same person, so tipping housekeeping daily is a better plan.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 02:25 PM

I had a discussion with an owner of a bar in Mexico. The guy told me he hated tippers : once his barmen had accumulayed enough tips, they would not show up anymore.

But ok, tipping is part of US culture - so US people tip.
We don't. Why is it terrible advice ?

In Cuba a guy asked for a tpi because he indicatec me the way. I told him I was no American, would not tip but was thankful and thanked him. He said 'ok, thanks'.

But US people will tip.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 01:50 AM

you may want to read this. 'how generous tourist cripple economies'

http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/2...cal-economies/
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Tipping customs are not about where you are from, it's about where you are visiting.

In Mexico it IS the custom to tip, it's not only people from the USA who do it... Mexicans tip Mexicans, Canadians tip, people from the UK tip.

cbrooks (our OP here) needs only to find out what is expected at this specific resort he is staying at in the Dominican Republic, and do what is customary there.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Best not to think too much. Just tip. In case it is not the custom, they'll always like to get money, won't they ?
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 01:41 PM

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/expect.html

They not to tip esp in all in resorts.
But they are surely wrong.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 10:24 AM

I clearly said: "Do follow Doug's advice to check with your specific resort on their customs."

The point is you need to find out what is the custom at the specific resort you are staying at. Not just decide never to tip anyone because you are from Europe.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 10:57 AM

From the link provided:

<We usually give the bellhop $3 to $5 US as a tip but remember this is your option.>
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 11:30 AM

Yes, the bellhop. I was sure you'd see this.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 11:33 AM

I would go over to the DR forum on Trip Advisor, and find people there who have specifically stayed at the resort you are going to, and ask them what is customary.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 09:17 PM

Please note that in the linked article she states that all tips are included in their tour package. This does not help anyone not on the same tour determine what tips are usual.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Thank you, seeyalater!

That's why this person needs to find out about their specific resort's custom. And not take the word of someone who never tips "We don't tip" and "zero".

At many "All Inclusives" it is still customary and expected you would tip additionally for drinks and food service, housekeeping, etc. just like you would at a hotel or restaurant.