Thoughts on St. Croix?

Jun 20th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thoughts on St. Croix?

My fiance and I are thinking of going there on our honeymoon next May... possibly staying at the Buccaneer. Has anyone been there? Good choice?
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:52 AM

Very nice. My wife and I stayed at Hibiscus Beach but toured Buccaneer several times, and had some drinks and food there. Part of beach was zoned off for sea turtle nesting area...cool! Rent a car and tour the island, especially the sub-tropical rain forests in the west, but in the eastern section of St. Croix you'd think you're traveling through an arid, Arizona desert. It's a neat island to explore on your own. Strolling around Christiansted was interesting because of the Dutch architecture. Definately go on a snorkeling tour of Buck Island; we saw over 50 species of reef fish there. Drive to the Great House and Fredericksted as well. You'll have fun. Robert
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Robert
Did you find that there was a lot of crime in st.croix. I have read the fodors book and they always have comments on crime in st.croix and st.thomas. Of the three american islands, which do you think is the best resort for families?
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

I read about Hibiscus beach... did you like it there?
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:28 PM

First, the crime. I was going to mention something about that, but decided to keep the post positive. My wife and I never had a problem, but we never went trekking at night. A teacher friend of mine did, and he didn't encouter any problems, but the atmosphere in Christiansted at night was, how do you say it, meant to keep one's guard up. During the day there is not problems, including island exploring in a jeep. The Hibiscus Beach was great; our room was on the beach facing the water, although all the rooms face the water, even the ones in the rear...just farther to walk to the beach. Next door was a vetinarian who owned property and my wife was over there in a heart beat..she loves horses. We began talking to the stable boys and for the next several days, my wife helped them ride their race horses, including the offspring of Seattle Slew, along the beach and swimming with them in the water. Horse racing is big on St. Croix, and they exercise the horses by swimming them against the surf. They never asked for any money, but we gave the $20 anyhow. Back to the crime, the rooms at Hibiscus had wall safes, and you can island explore without toting your life's savings with you. Girlonthego, I couldn't judge which of the three would be the best to go. St. Croix is the biggest island size-wise, but the shopping in St. Thomas would be better, if that's important to you. Still, I wouldn't travel around to the nightspots in St. Croix, unless it's well-known and frequented by many tourists. The Hibiscus Beach and Buccaneer has bands to dance and have a good time on the premises. Robert
Jun 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM

Robert:
Thanks for the info. We would be a family with kids (9 and 11), so nightlife is not a big issue. Have you ever been to St.John? Would you prefer St.John to St. Croix? The one positive about St.John is the possible day trip to St.Thomas would be easy. Sorry oph23, I didn't mean to barge in on your post. I was looking at the Buccaneer also.......Thanks.
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:30 PM

girlonthego: No, I haven't been to St. John, so couldn't help you out there. I only know the crime is not a problem there. You can also reach St. John from St. Croix via sea plane. Robert
Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:22 AM

I had to chim in on the crime issue. I am a single woman who stays at a hotel in downtown Christiansted. In my 19 visits I have not once encountered problems walking around the historic district after dark. There are many fine restaurants in C'sted and it would be a shame to miss them. They are extremely popular and there are many people who go there. My only caveat would be to avoid dimly lit streets after dark on foot, but I'd give that advice to anyone traveling anywhere. St. Croix is a great island with many things to do - not as developed as St. Thomas, not as laid back as St. John. Shopping is good, just not as many shops as St. Thomas.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:25 AM
cdt

The Buccaneer is far and away the best place to stay on St. Croix. It's expensive, esp. in winter. It has made more of an effort to cater to families during the past several years, particularly in the off-season, but it's such a spacious property that I don't think this would be a problem for couples without kids.

St. John is a smaller island with better beaches and more dramatic scenery. However, Caneel Bay is the only hotel on a good beach (several, actually). It's quite expensive and many people don't think the accommodations justify the price - but that's because you're paying for location and beaches (and lack of alternatives).

The consensus is that crime is more of a problem on St. Croix than St. John. STX visitors are advised to be careful where they go at night, and avoid deserted areas during the daytime.

Christiansted is picturesque and Buck Island is one of my favorite places in the Caribbean.

If price wasn't an issue and I was booking a hotel in the USVI I'd probably pick Caneel Bay first, Buccaneer second, and the Ritz on St. Thomas third - based on beaches and physical environment, rather than the hotels/rooms themselves.

Jun 25th, 2003, 11:11 AM
CF

We love ST.Croix and have never had a problem with crime. We use our heads and don't walk down dark alleys with wads of cash. LOL

Of all the places we have stayed in STX the Buc is our favorite. The ocean front rooms are super and the view of the harbor from the restaurant at night is something else. The food was good too.

In comparing STX to the other VI's, we think it has the perfect balance. It's not at comercial at STT and not as desolate as STJ. It has quiet places and touristy places.

A trip to Buck Island is a must. Remember if you go to Fredricksted (sp?), the stores aren't open unless a cruise ship is in port.
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:11 PM

When we went to St. Croix we found it to be clean and seemed low on crime. But we also found it boring. Buck Island's snorkeling seemed to be the only exciting thing going for it.
St. Thomas on the other hand is where the action is, but so is the crime. Lots to do. You can go over to St. John, hardly no crime, a National Park it is. How fortunate we are!