T&C Trip Report

Jul 10th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

T&C Trip Report

My wife and I (32 yrs. old, no kids) just returned from five days at Ocean Club West (OCW) on Providenciales. It was a fabulous trip. Here's a trip report:

Grace Bay beach is as good or better than any beach we've been to, and that includes a lot of beaches (east & west coast USA, multiple Hawaiian islands, other Caribbean islands, Cancun). I'm talking about powder white sand, crystal clear and -calm- turquoise water, and not crowded at all (except for the area in front of Beaches resort).

OCW is a great place to stay. We had a junior suite and it was nice and roomy. Grounds are pretty, and very well kept. Restaurants (Gecko's and Seaside Cafe) are both very good. Only complaint about OCW: beware the flying umbrellas! The beach umbrellas provided by OCW were frequently becoming dislodged from their bases by the wind and flying into the ocean. I saw a woman almost get decapitated by one of these crazy things.

We also ate at Anacaona at Grace Bay. This is a good (not great) restaurant with a great setting. Very pricey and food was no better than Gecko's. Go here for the ambience.

We did not do any excursions - we went down there for R&R on a great beach and that is exactly what we got. One afternoon we walked down to Coral Gardens for snorkeling and it was average at best. In my opinion, this is not great snorkeling by any means.

We did not have a problem with mosquitos.

All of the resorts on Grace Bay looked very nice - except for Beaches which looked like the Worldwide Headquarters For Kindergarten Spring Break. Just walking across their property was a stressful event.

The beachfronts at Allegro and The Sands were somewhat more crowded than the rest. Point Grace looked especially nice but it sits on what appeared to us to be the windiest part of Grace Bay. Every time we walked by, it felt like gale force winds blowing. May have been a coincidence but it sure didn't seem so.

If you are going to T&C anytime soon, consider yourself lucky! What a great place to vacation.
Jul 10th, 2003, 12:04 PM

IWhich resort looked to be the most luxorious? (I am interested in ultimate luxury and I do not have any kids)
Jul 10th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

I would say Point Grace or Grace Bay Club. However, my understanding is that Parrot Cay is the most luxurious resort in TCI.

I'd love to hear about your trip upon your return!
Jul 10th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Now that they finally seem to have their ducks in a row so to speak, it would have to be Point Grace. The restaurant however is good but no where near the price. Get this...$3 for a cup of coffee....if you want a refill....that'll be another $3 please.
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:04 PM

HI LivetoTravel,

I was in Provo the same time as you (different resort). What struck me about your post is when you wrote about flying umbrellas.

My boyfriend and I were walking in the water (we were in about thigh deep water walking) from Coral Gardens to the Sands and we were in front of this resort (perhaps OCW?)with huge yellowish umbrellas. We saw a couple (actually 2 couples I think) sitting beneath one and suddenly next to them, an umbrella was knocked loose from the sand due to a gust of wind...Nearly scared the hell out of me. I honestly thought it was going to fly right towards us!!

I am trying to think where OCW is located....The resort I am talking about above was in between Sibonne and Beaches. We were actually booked at OCW but changed because we got a great deal at the Sands.

Anyway, I am curious to know if I was the woman that you were talking about!!!

Let me know!

Denise
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

If you were walking from The Sands towards Allegro, OCW would be the next resort after Allegro. OCW has peach-colored umbrellas.

Did you eat at Hemingway's? If so how was it? We wanted to eat there but never made it...
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:42 PM

Love2Travel!!
What type of great deal did you get at The Sands? Thanks
Jul 10th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Oh..Well I guess flying umbrellas are common!! LOL

Hemmingways was okay. The service was pretty decent; the staff were very pleasant. I wasn't that crazy about the food. I ordered French dip and the meat was very thick and fatty. Also, they put so much cheese (melted) that I had to take 3/4 off. I ordered a burger another time and honestly, it was the worst burger I ever had in my life. I can't describe the taste; somewhat like a sausage patty from McDonald's...EWWWW...I shudder to think about it.

We went to other restaurants, Bay Bistro being my favorite. Danny Buoy's (newer irish type pub) was pretty good. Barefoot Cafe is good for a casual meal. The omelets there are excellent.

So, LIveToTravel, in a nutshell, IMO, you didn't miss much at Hemmingways as far as food. I do have to say however, that this in NO WAY impacted our trip or stay at the Sands. We loved it!

Fuzzbear:

We found a great deal on the internet at www.discount-all-inclusive.com
It was for 8 days, seven nights in a garden view studio suite, all taxes and surcharges, airport transfers to and from, round trip airfare from Boston. The rate was $1020 per person total. We printed out this deal and our agent at Liberty Travel matched it. This was great for us, because I personally like the assurance of a TA but we got to take advantage of the internet deal. The usual price for what we got for this very week was $200-$300 more per person. Needless to say, we were thrilled!!

I am going to be writing a trip report within the next couple of days and will post it here. IN the interim, fell free to ask any questions. Talking about Provo is one of my favorite things to do!

Denise
Jul 10th, 2003, 06:24 PM

The place with the yellow umbrellas was Alexandra Resort and Spa which is just before you get to Sibonne
Jul 10th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Thanks, Howard!
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:13 PM
TG

My family stayed at OCW for 7 days, returning home on 6/25. The accomodations at OCW were excellent. We had the 2 bedroom suite, 3rd floor right on the beach. Food was average at best. Drinks just fair. Housekeeping service excellent. Other service average.
We found the snorkeling at Coral Sands to be excellent. If you walk their from OCW bring water it is a LONG walk. We snorkeled there twice, once by walking there the next time using our rental car.
We never saw a flying umbrella unless a guest moved one - the staff know how to secure the umbrellas properly the guests we saw do this had NO clue.
From our perspective the beach and water was unbeatable, the airport, infrastructure and people leave much to be desired. Locals and so-called "belongers" will not kill you with kindness. Except for the trials and tribulations of the air travel and in spite of the unfriendliness we encountered we enjoyed our trip.
I highly recommend renting a car, especially if you want to purchase groceries, wine or beer.
The liquor store at Ports of Call is a rip off - we paid $50 per case of beer here while the IGA and Liquor store on the Leeward Hwy. charge $32 for exact same beer.
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Hello TG,

Glad to see another OCW fan out there... I had a few questions about your post:

(1) Where have you snorkeled before that you consider Coral Gardens to be excellent? I am just curious about your perspective on this. We were unimpressed...

(2) You said the food at OCW was average at best, which restaurants down there did you find better food? We will definitely check those places out next time we are down there.

On the "flying umbrella" issue, on at least two occasions we saw umbrellas fly off which had been "secured" by OCW staff no more than 15 minutes prior. This was not "user error", it was due to the fact that it was very windy and there was no way to secure the umbrella to the base.

We didn't let it detract from our enjoyment of this wonderful island however. I can't wait to go back...
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:09 AM
TG

Snorkeled in many locations in Bahamas off New Providence and the out islands -difficult currents, water not as clear, not as many fish as T & C. Snorkeling at Bight Reef in front of Coral Gardens is excellent - especially for youngsters and people who are not good swimmers.
Food at Latitudes, Barefoot Cafe and the Tiki Hut was much better than the food we had at OCW.
If I am on vacation "flying umbrellas" are the least of my concerns. In our seven days, each day had strong breezes we only saw one take off and that was one that a guest did not properly secure.
C'est la vie!
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

TG:

I guess you're right, when you're on vacation why worry about potentially injurious situations? Like I said, I was only there for five days and saw a woman nearly get struck in the face.

Me, I'd rather be informed about these things.
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Hi everyone!
We went to OCW. It was better and newer than regualr Ocean Club. I am glad we chose OCW. We went 7/28/02 last yr.for our honeymoon. It was amazing. The beaches are simply breathtaking. The water is absolutely beautiful. Turquoise waters don't even do it justice! It is like Heaven on Earth. I am not a water person...but even I stayed in the water 1/2 the day on a float! It was sooo wonderful. I got a massage at the spa. The spa room wasn't the best, but the masseuse was terrific. We had a fabulous time there all in all.
USe bug spray! It is a must when we went. My husband didn't get bit..but he said he was tough and grizzly while I on the other hand, got bit 15 times. lol. We did go to gecko grille, but it was part of a honeymooon package and the meal was included..which the bill came to about 150.00 and it was included in the honeymoon package. I went right thru ocean club website and booked this whole package. It was excellent.
Tiki hut was excellent. It is a casual atmosphere on the marina, but excellent food and reasonable.
The rooms were immaculate and we stayed in a studio suite. Housekeeping was great.