The Green Flash

Sep 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

The Green Flash

Has anyone seen the Green Flash in Grand Turk? Is it visible everynight or only certain times of the year?
Sep 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Seeing or not seeing the Green Flash is dependant upon many different factors related more toward atmospheric conditions rather than to time of year. Go to this web-site for more info: http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/

Also if you do a google search for "Green Flash" you'll find hundreds of links on this phenomonon.

So the answer is no you won't see it every night and there is no one time of year better than another. It may happen several nights in a row or it may not happens for weeks on end!
Sep 30th, 2007, 04:27 PM

I've never seen it in the Caribbean, only in Hawaii...
Sep 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Naples Florida, more than once. Never in the Caribbean (& I am a camera freak for sunrise/sunset pics!).
Sep 30th, 2007, 06:01 PM

After many years looking for the green flash I saw it for the first time in St. Kitts last fall. Then I saw it again in Grenada this past May.

I've found that horizons with very little atmospheric interference, the kind that make for the most spectacularly colorful sunsets, make for good potential green flash sightings. Short of that, drinking a lot of rum also helps!
Sep 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I've seen it only once, from a Caribbean lobster joint in Anegada (in the British Virgin Islands). A rather underwhelming experience, I thought.
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:00 AM

Saw it in Bequia two weeks ago. Clear sky little or no haze at sunset seems to offer the best opportunity.
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:19 AM

We saw the green flash in Grand Turk about 4 times during a 7-day stay. We stayed at the Arawak Inn and watched from water's edge. The key was having an absolutely clear western horizon as the sun set.
Oct 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM

The last time I was in St. Lucia, I was trying ... fairly obsessively ... to see the green flash for the first time. I finally did one night by standing on my balcony and desperately trying not to blink at the exact moment the sun went below the horizon. The only time you can see the green flash is when there are absolutely no clouds on the horizon, and you obviously have to have a westward-facing spot to wait out the sunset.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out...
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:28 AM

One piece of advice and one anecdote for you: I have a friend in Grenada who calls it the Green Blip because the first time she saw it she was disappointed. It had been built up a lot more than what it actually was--a split second of green.

Don't look directly at the sun for the prolonged setting of it. Look just away from it and then right before it sinks entirely, keep your eyes on it. The last moment the sun is visible over the horizon you should see the GF if conditions are right.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM

"Green blip" nicely sums up my experience. The aurora borealis this ain't.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM

I quite agree, factors such as cloud conditions over the skyline is also a factor. The flash may last for up to 4 seconds.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM

I have never seen it but hear that it only last for a few seconds.. I will keep looking!

Christie