T&C construction...is island feel gone?

Feb 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

T&C construction...is island feel gone?

Planning a trip to T&C with my husband and 2 sons...have pretty much settled on the Sands. I am reading more and more about all the construction on the island and how the island feel is gone. Comments, anyone? Our trip is planned for July.

Also, where is the Sands located in relation to other hotels and Ports of Call? Does anyone know where I can get a map that shows bullets where the different hotels are located?
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Sunnyboy

For a map of Provo go to;

www.caribbean-on-line.com

Click on the link for the Turks & Caicos forum. On the left side of the page will be another link for Maps. It will show the entire island with Hotel & Resort locations in numbered green icons. You can find the Hotel and Resorts listed by corresponding numbers by clicking the Hotel link.

Feb 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM

As you may or may not know, the island itself lends little to the an "island feel".(IMHO) Rather it's the beach that is stunning factor. Having said that, let's just say that you're wise to go soon as even the ambiance on the beach is changing by the minute.
Feb 16th, 2005, 12:02 PM

We have been to many Caribbean islands, and we rate them (DH and I) based on what we like to call "The Irieness Factor."

It's kind of an intangible feeling that is a combination of the people, culture, feel and atmosphere of an island.

For example, on an irieness scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being very irie, and 1 being Las Vegas-like, St Lucia is a 9.5, Tortola is a 9, Antigua is an 8.5, Anguilla is a 5, St John is a 3.

We enjoyed our trip to Provo very much, and the beaches really wowed us, but it is about a 3 or 4 on the Irieness scale for us, and that is likely a reason we won't go back.

I didn't feel the construction there was annoying or distracting, although it was quite evident.

We stayed at the Sands. It is not too far to walk to POC, but it is a long way if it's hot. We got a car, and it was well-worth the money spent as taxis get very $$$ quickly.
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Diana....how long a walk would you say it is from the Sands to POC...5 min, 10 min, more?

Also, your rating system...irieness?...meaning amount of development?

Thanks!
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Hi again.

Gosh, we never did it - too lazy - but I'd say 10 or 15 minutes? (Maybe someone who has done it could tell you.) A bicycle might be a good option.

Irie = IRIE (adj): A Jamaican Adjective meaning Good, Excellent, Great & Quality

To us, irie also describes a "feeling" that we get when traveling in the Caribbean to a place that is not over-built and overwhelmed by ex-pats and has managed to retain to a large degree its West Indian heritage and culture.

T&C has a stunning beach, and a few pockets of charm (Bugaloo's, Smokey's, Mackie's, etc.), but kinda reminds me of Florida.
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Diana. That helps. The only island that you listed that I have visited is St. John and I thought that was nice so T&C should be fine with us. Likes/dislikes about the Sands?
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Nope, it was great. You'll love it...
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM

I would say it is a good 10 min walk from Sands to POC, maybe more. But Sands had bikes free of charge (Mar 2003) so you can always use them. Also had free shuttles to grocery store. The beach is definitely beautiful but island is not as caribbean as others - we walked alot in either direction from Sands. It is becoming wall to wall condos and resorts unfortunately so the comment above about FL is kinda how we felt. It is a hike from Sands but the beach in front of Beaches looks like the Jersey shore on July 4th. Wall to wall people and beach chairs touching. Must have to reserve chair at 6 AM. Beach at Sands is wider and much less crowded. Much better area to stay.
Feb 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Have you been to any other islands that you would compare it to?
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM

been to St John, St lucia, Antigua, Exuma, Treasure Cay, Grand Cayman
As far as length of beach maybe Grand Cayman but the sand at T&C is so much finer and whiter. Treasure cay had beautiful long beach but not built up as much at T & C, GC is pretty built up. The rest of island were way more lush and tropical. T&C is coral based not volcanic so not as lush but sand is better when coral island. T & C didn't have as much to offer as others like a town to go to with shops and restaurants but we don't need that. The sand and water make up for it - that is great. Had great meal at Coral Garden restaurant and next door to Sands is Point Grace and went to their restaurant - nice atmosphere and good food but $$$$, some bugs also as outside.