Swimming with dolphins in Nassau

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Nassau (AI at the Radisson)in July and would like to plan a trip to swim with the dolphins. I've heard about Blue Lagoon Island. Any comments about this, or idea of other dolphin trips?
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM

I would ask you to please reconsider the dolphin swim. They are incredibly cruel. I did it once and was sorry ever since. No matter how clean or nice it looks, more than half of the dolphins die within 60 to 90 days of capture.
In order to make an informed decision, please visit:

http://dolphinproject.org/

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11727

(The second site is the Humane Society of the United States' position on SWTD programs.)
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:03 PM

An unthinking person who knows nothing about captive dolphin programs and who is very unintuitive may enjoy 'swimming with dolphins' in places like Nassau.
The majority of people will figure out what's really going on.
I've been to the one (observed it only, no participation) off Paradise Island. It is truly a sad and upsetting set up.

Only yesterday we were discussing the 'dolphin experience' on Antigua with some British acquaintances where we're currently vacationing. They went in without expectations and came away disturbed. Nice to know that so many people 'figure it out'. Sad that the discovery process lines the pockets of the proprietors and kills helpless dolphins.
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:54 AM

travelis, you are (unfortunately) so right.
I struggled with my conscience for years over really wanting to swim with the dolphins and having the nagging feeling that it just wasn't the right thing to do.
I went to Key West, where they had (at the time) two "educational" swtd programs, and when I found they were conducted in small concrete enclosures, I declined to do it.
Several years later, we were planning a trip to the Bahamas, and were newly-certified divers.
I read about an open ocean dive you could do with dolphins and called to get more info. (This was back in the early 90's before the Internet was widely available.)
I was told that these dolphins were free to leave once they got out into the ocean if they wanted, but they "chose" to participate in the dives. (Of course, I found out much later that they could not leave - they had lost the ability to hunt for themselves and depended on people to feed them.)
They led me to believe these weren't even captive dolphins, so my husband and I shelled out $150 apiece (this is 10 years ago!) to do it.
BIG mistake!
The dolphins were kept in tiny pens in murky brackish water.
The one that went to the dive site with us was so hungry that she never once looked at us. She performed the "trick" and immedicately went to the trainer for food.
It was pathetic and cruel, and I literally had to fight back tears while on the dive.
I was so disgusted with myself for participating in such an immoral exploitation - especially offensive since they all tout themselves as "educational" experiences.
Yeah, right. An education on getting separated from your $ while abusing animals.
So while some may get tired of my always jumping in there with my lectures, I'm still trying to do what I can to maybe help to outlaw the filthy swtd programs, save some dolphin lives, and spare them having to perform "tricks" to survive.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I plead the above posters' cases. Please reconsider supporting a program like these with your tourist dollars.

however, after having done some research myself into the SWTD programs, I heard about one in Bimini (Bahamas out islands) called O'Keefe's. A woman puts a handful of people in a boat and cruises out into the waters where spotted dolphins are known to frequent. About 80% of the time, the dolphins come right up to the boat, at which point people can ease themselves into the water and snorkel around with the dolphins. When the dolphins leave, the people get back into the boat. The dolphins aren't lured with food, and there's no guarantee that a paying customer will have an upclose dolphin encounter, but it sounds like a great way to swim with dolphins if you're willing to take a 20% risk. If you're staying in Nassau, I'd bet you could take a seaplane day trip to Bimini to do this.

If you do a text search on "swimming with dolphins", you'll find a post from Robert who did this experience. You'll also find the website for the O'Keefe program.