Surprise Golf Trip in Feb

Jul 24th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Giftgiver

Surprise Golf Trip in Feb

I am interested in giving my husband a surprise 3 or 4 night getaway in Feb. for his b-day. He loves to golf, so I am looking for somewhere in the Carib. with a great golf course. (I, however, don't golf, so great beaches would be a plus for me!)

Cost is flexible although not without limit. (have heard good things about Four Seasons Nevis but that's out of my $ range)
thanks

Jul 24th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Nancy

Hi Gift,
I believe you can stay elsewhere on the island and golf at FS. (We stayed there, but my husband said he does not golf enough to justify the fees even guests have to pay.) He walked the course though and said it is absolutely stunning.
You might also look at Dominican Republic. I have heard the courses there are great too.

Jul 24th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Karen

We haved golfed in many islands and in the states. Recently we stayed on the north coast in the Dominican Republic. We golfed at Playa Grande. The course is oceanside and magnificent. We could not believe how uncrowded it was. The caddie told us it is because of the location. There is a hotel there also and the beach looked wonderful; white with turquoise water unlike the other beaches on the north coast. The prices in this area cannot be beat. There is not much close by but if you simply want to golf on a great course and go to the beach; this would be a great area. I spent as much time taking photos while golfing as I did lining up my shots!

Jul 24th, 2002, 10:08 AM
eileen

My husband is an avid golfer and we have been to a number of great places in the Caribbean. If you are only going for 3 or 4 nights I would choose a place that is the easiest to get to (direct flight and shorter flight) or else you will feel like you spent a lot of time travelling for a very short vacation. Two of the places that we have been that fits this criteria for us (we live in Philly) are Hyatt Dorado, about 1/2 hour outside of San Juan (it's a 3 1/2 hour direct flight) and the Turks and Caicos (even though we had to change planes in Miami we were still there by about 1 p.m.) The Hyatt Dorado has four golf courses, we love the beachfront rooms. The Provo Golf Club in T & C is also highly rated, we stayed at Point Grace which we loved but there are also lots of nice resorts on Provo to choose and the beach just can't be beat. We would like to go to Nevis but the travel time has been discouraging us -- once you get to St. Kitts you still have to take a ferry to Nevis -- basically a whole day to get there. Also, I do not think the beachs on Nevis are as nice as some other islands. Hope this is helpful.

Jul 24th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Statia

Eileen:

Just for future reference, you can fly into St. Maarten and then connect to Nevis via Winward Island Airways (at least I did a couple of years ago). I would imagine you could also fly from St. Kitts to Nevis thru WinAir, as well. It just might save time in getting to the ferry and crossing over.

Jul 24th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Giftgiver

Thanks for the replies.... very helpful so far! how about the course and the hotel/beach at the Ritz in Jamaica? any thoughts?

Jul 24th, 2002, 01:19 PM
eileen

Hi giftgiver, me again. What a coincidence we are just now looking into the Ritz-Carlton Rose Hall for our winter vacation. The reviews I have read are very good and the golf course is probably one of the top five in the Caribbean. They have an all-inclusive deal (everyone says to go AI there because food/drinks are so expensive) for the winter -- $599 gardenview room, $699 oceanview and $770 for an oceanview suite. It includes taxes and service charges, all meals, drinks, airport transfers and $100 golf or spa credit per day. This seems like a good value for a caribbean luxury resort in the winter because sometimes we pay $500+ just for the room. I sound like a commercial for the Ritz but it's worth checking out. Also, lots of direct flights to Montego Bay.

Jul 24th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Giftgiver

thanks Eileen!

you are very helpful!

Jul 25th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Marcy

Provo in Turks and Caicos has a very nice golf course--we stayed at the Ocean Club Condos--it's across the street. Another favorite of my husband's is Tierra Del Sol Resort in Aruba--desert like course with country club like atmosphere--luxury condos on grounds, however you must drive to beach.

Search this Thread