Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

HAS ANYONE BEEN ON AN ISLAND WHEN A HURRICANE STRUCK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:31 AM
beachlovers

Has anyone been on an island when a hurricane struck?<BR><BR>If so, what was your experience like?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Chas

Yes, in St. Martin during hurricane Luis.<BR><BR>There are actually 2 experiences; the first being while the storm is going on and the second is the aftermath after it.<BR><BR>I would venture to say that there is a relatively minor concern for safety during the storm for most islands and hotels. This because, most structures in the Caribbean are built to withstand these storms and the staff at most places are trained to work with their guests for their safety. Follow their instructions to the tee, don't do anything foolish.<BR><BR>Still, it can be a very frightening experience. Depending on intensity, the sound is what will drive you crazy.<BR><BR>What may be the toughest part is the aftermath. If it's a minimal hurricane (under 110), you will probably not be affected too much as the islands tend to recover very quickly. If it's a major hurricane, you may not be able to leave the island for a number of days even if you want too. You either try to prepare ahead of time, but the island will still take care of the tourists. Their first concern is getting you off the island so they have less people to take care of.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Statia

Having lived in the Caribbean since '93, I've been stuck in numerous hurricanes. I was raised on the Gulf Coast, so I was used to them before moving here, but it's still a bit different scenario on a small island.<BR><BR>Chas really hit the nail on the head with his whole post, especially in the area of the noise making you the most stir-crazy. We had friends visiting from MN who were stranded here during Lenny. They agreed that the noise was the worst of it (other than not being able to leave after), but said that they would NEVER look at that bleep of a hurricane on the weather channel with the same attitude.<BR><BR>Yes, it can be frightening depending on the category and force, and the aftermath is hard to deal with (especially when it's your home and your not just a tourist), but 'tis life in the tropics. You gotta pay a price to live here.<BR><BR>Just curious...why do you ask, beachlovers? Have you had any experiences?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Jane

A platitude perhaps, but from every experience you have to take something away from it. What I think I'll never forget that after a disaster like Luis, teamwork is what matters and albeit temporary the friendships that develope. Furthermore money meaning nothing (what a great feeling). All the tourists had money, but not everyone had gas (which you couldn't get) and/or water. Trading gas for water, water for gas with those people who could go and get more water.<BR><BR>People have to keep their heads on straight before, during and after.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Eva

I was on Tortola when Georges hit in September, 1998. All of the observations about the NOISE of the storm are right on the money. The only thing worse than the noise was the anticipation of the storm. We had arrived a few days before, and the airlines shut down service leaving the island 1 1/2 days before -- so we were stuck for the duration. All the while, we were glued to the Weather Channel (on the TV in the bar), where ominous warnings of a Category 4 storm were constantly intoned. Having lived in Louisiana and now in the mid-Atlantic, the threat of hurricanes is not new to me, but being far from my familiar home added a certain dimension of fear.<BR><BR>Once the storm actually hit -- with all of its attendant shrieking, banging, roaring, and moaning (add the extra element of halyards clanging, as we were at a yacht charter base with its dozens of sailboats) -- it was almost anticlimactic, since it was not nearly as strong as forecast (thank God). Still, we were spooked as we listed to the radio and the station we were listening to (from St. Croix) went off the air because its roof had collapsed. We were getting a little stir crazy, even as wind-driven water was getting past the doors and soaking our over-stuffed hotel room -- our charter company had put entire crews (5 in our case) in single rooms, because that's all the space they had. As the storm wound down (but had not yet finished), we were quite relieved to be permitted to leave our rooms and head for the bar.<BR><BR>Waking to the sound of buzzing chain saws, the next morning's light revealed the relatively light damage. It is said that most hurricane damage is not from wind, but from the storm surge. Islands are usually spared that because they are small, and the surge basically bypasses the island, rather than butting up against it. Though it was several days before electricity and normalcy returned to the area, we were allowed to take off on our sailboats by the next day (which are self contained anyway -- with fuel and electricity). Many establishments were closed for the season anyway, so the additional ones impacted by the storm were few. But we did find a spirit of helping and camaraderie that we've never duplicated again, making the experience unforgettable.<BR><BR>Nevertheless, that was the last time I will travel in September to the Caribbean again.